New member but a good Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Akaravenwolf, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Akaravenwolf

Akaravenwolf New Friend

Jul 22, 2009
    Hey, I'm Doug
    I've been playing for over 9 years with trumpet, I am now playing on a bach Stradivarius with a 3c mouthpiece.

I came to this site with many questions and now that I have created an account I would like to say Hello to trumpet masters.

I just turned 17 and was offered to play at a gig down in Panama City, Florida.

The gig is with my dads old friends, and one of them was the man who got me started into playing trumpet and gave me my first trumpet.

Now I'm increadibly nervous, because I just found out a piece that I was going to play, In the Mood, as recorded by Glenn Miller.
    I have all of Glenn Miller's Cd's with the recording of In The Mood. However, I am not good with playing by ear, and wanted to know if anyone could help me find In The Mood , with the trumpet solo's. I would prefer one that Solar Bell had posted: http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f133/clyde-hurley-trumpet-solo-mood-39316.html

Solar Bell, if you can if you can send an attachment of some sort to me via email of the piece, it would be most appreciated.

I just recieved a Jazz fakebook as well, but the key's are completely different, and I would prefer the one you had posted because that was the same exact piece I had played in Highschool.

Many thanks to you all who take this into consideration and the time to read this.

;)

2. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Can't you just print that solo off the link? or are looking for something more?
    Welcome to the Forum and good luck with the gig.:-)

3. Akaravenwolf

Akaravenwolf New Friend

Jul 22, 2009
    Well I'm looking for the Actual piece with the solo in it. My band director has just left my school, we have no band director right now, and I can't get into the school to get the copy.

I believe Solar Bell has it however.

Thank you =]

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Doesn't the guy who offered you the gig have a copy of the chart? Why don't you have him mail/fax you a copy?

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    When do you need it?

I don't have my charts with me right now, but I will have them tonight.

Send me a PM with your email address on it.

I will photograph the lead part (with the melody) and the solo part and send them as a photo attachment to you tomorrow.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I believe that's the Bobby Hackett trumpet solo. The link you have above, has the run into it. Here's the sound clip,

YouTube - Glenn Miller-In The Mood

There are other solos, but this is the usual standard. Learn it down pat, you will use it again and again. Welcome to TM and good luck.

7. Akaravenwolf

Akaravenwolf New Friend

Jul 22, 2009
    Thank you very much, I will send a PM after this message. To answer the previous question, yes, he is becoming a professor at a college and has several, several hundreds of pieces of music, but by the time I get there and meet him it will be a two days before the gig. I'm not the one for memorizing in a short time.

And tomorrow will be great, thank you so much Solar Bell.

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    some one please explain to me:
    I went to the link and the solo was there.

Maybe he wanted the whole part?

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    He wants the whole lead chart and the solo, I'll take care of it.

By the way...it was NOT Bobby Hackett...It was Clyde Hurley that played THAT solo.

Hackett did the solo in "A String Of Pearls" .

10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I stand corrected, as usual you are absolutely right, it was Clyde Hurley.

Cheers