New Member in TN

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by terrytuner, Sep 23, 2010.

1. terrytuner

terrytuner Pianissimo User

Sep 23, 2010
    Tennessee
    Just recently discovered this site. I have lots of interests in several areas concerning trumpets. Played a lot prior to 1980. Let it slide and started practicing again last year. Results have been good. Currently playing F Horn also with a commmunity band. I own a mid 80s Model 37, a 1925-30 vintage H. N. White, a 1920 or earlier Conn cornet with a B flat to C rotary valve and several other antiques in fair condition. My question is about the White. I bought it last summer from the original owner's wife. She is in her 90's. Condition is near perfect. It is clearly marked on the valve casing as "King made by H. N. White, Cleveland, . It's silver plated (SN-93***). My specific question concerns the engraving on the bell. It says it was fabricated in Paris, France. It's a "plain Jane" horn with virtually no engraving except that I've mentioned. It is my understanding that all White trumpets were totally American from stem to stern. Anybody ever seen one like this. It is a "pea-shooter" which is toned down by a "Karl Fuchs 6 (circa 1905) MP. A Bach 5 works well also. Your comments are welcome.

2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Their early horns were imported before they actually set up a factory and started production..........Buck:oops:

3. terrytuner

Sep 23, 2010
    Tennessee
    Well that certainly logically answers my question. One other thing, it has top valve springs and seems uncomfortably stiffer than my other horns. Would trying weaker springs, if I can find them, compensate for the stiffness? I suppose I could add 30 minutes a day squeezing a tennis ball to my routine.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I'm sure the springs are not original. Any good repair shop will have generic springs. You could go there and try a lighter set. They are not expensive and last forever.

5. terrytuner

Sep 23, 2010
    Tennessee
    I had attempted that strategy. There is an excellent, however opinionated he may be, repairman in Red Bank, TN who talked me out of what he considers unnecessary. He knows I've not seriously played since 1980 and that "practice overcomes all". However, I'll get the new springs and see. It's a minor investment. My repairman friend's business is named "Consistent C". You probably know where his main interests lie. I have a good Besson cornet and I've not noticed any problems with it except endurance and that's universal.

6. SCV81

SCV81 Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    Bay Area, Northern Calif.
    welcome to TM!

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    find another repairman! He's not listening to you. He just wants to be right!