New Member - P.E.T.E by Warburton

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rmccaffr, Mar 27, 2014.

Tags:
  1. rmccaffr

rmccaffr New Friend

Mar 13, 2014
    Hi everyone. I am new to the site, was turned onto it by Ivan Hunter (thanks Ivan!). I have never been an active participant in a blog (or anything similar online), but I am so excited about this site that I am going to try!

Anyway, I am a returning player who took 15 years off (ugh) for a host of insufficient reasons. I am so excited to be back playing again! Given work, family, commuting etc I only have an average of 1 hour a day to be actually playing my horn. That said, I work an office job and commute 4 hours a day by train so I have tons of time to be listening and studying music (and studying to make sure my practice time is focused and productive). One thing I am going to try in order to get my chops back where they used to be is this PETE by Warburton.

I figured I will let you know how it goes! I have been doing it for 4 days so far, and will check back with everyone in a month and let you know what progress I see. I can tell after just 4 days that my chops are getting stronger, but am excited to see how it translates to pitch, range and endurance.

2. rmccaffr

rmccaffr New Friend

Mar 13, 2014
    I forgot to add that so far the best part of the PETE are the strange looks I get from people on the train who think I am smoking something...

3. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    Well judging by how poorly their website works they aren't too excited about selling the product.

4. calihorn

calihorn Pianissimo User

Feb 28, 2009
    Welcome! I love using the P.E.T.E. on commutes too because it makes me feel like I'm doing something productive with my time? lol. Just be careful not to overdo it. A little exercise goes a long way. If your lips start to feel stiff when you play then you might want to back off a bit?

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Glad you're enjoying it.

Just make sure to heed the warnings about TOO much use.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Seriously?

They're available everywhere.

Music stores, Amazon, WalMart...just google Warburton PETE and you'll get as much information as you need.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Please, please, please do not make the mistake of thinking that "muscle tone" is part of some secret to success. The pete and similar techniques can be sparingly used to augment an otherwise sound program to build an INTEGRATED playing method. We have to connect our ears, brains, breathing, articulation and chops. A sixpack in the face will destroy any chance of getting good!

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    A very good and balanced response by Rowuk. But his final statement is sheer poetry. :-)

Welcome to TM, rmccaffr.

Mike

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, rmccaffr!

I prefer six packs inside my stomach, after the gig.

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Welcome to ™

I recommend you heed Rowuk's comment - trumpet playing is not an athletic activity.