New Member - P.E.T.E by Warburton

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rmccaffr, Mar 27, 2014.

Tags:
  1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Again, I agree to a point - it is important for what you hear, but it's equally important to be able to connect to the feel of what's going on in the mouthpiece, i.e., feeling the focus of the chops, getting in tune with how the tongue and teeth interact to control the intensity of the attack, feeling how the tongue and fingers coordinate so that articulations and fingering lock into place, etc. It's important to hear it, but really getting in touch with how it feels is equally important IMO.

2. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    Wow, so funny to read this post now. I picked up the PETE, and used lightly (30 seconds pencil style, 30 seconds pull style). I recently added another 30 second pull set. A day later, I am getting bad tone and a fuzzy buzz. It could be something else other than the PETE, but I doubt it.

After a days rest and not using PETE, getting better.

Be very careful with the PETE. Not hard to over do it.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You, like me, may be playing less with a buzz more with a pwhoo vibratory technique. I just love pwhoo. I live in the land of pwhoo!!!

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    And 9 chances out of 10, you utilized P.E.T.E. improperly, as otherwise used properly no damage would occur. Your "timing" gives you away, as properly used timing is not a factor.

This is a resistance exercise! All you do is clamp down on P.E.T.E. with only your lips as hard as you can and release. That is one complete "pencil" exercise no timing to it and no more detrimental than putting your lips against a mouthpiece.

The second exercise uses the opposite end as is placed between the lips and teeth and then pulled while your lips resist. It is NOT a forceful pull through your lips as may damage them! That's the complete "button" exercise. There is no timing to either, although the exercises could be repeated.

I personally don't recommend more than 6 of each in any session. I carry mine in a re-cycled prescription pill vial and keep it clean.

5. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Even Jon Faddis only recommends "occasional" use of the P.E.T.E. There is no control without strength but, strength is NOT control. I have a LONG commute as well, and spend much of it buzzing with the James Thompson "Buzzing Book" CD. He recommends mouthpiece buzzing and then playing the exercise with the horn - I free buzz and then mouthpiece buzz. Great work out.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Ain't nothing wrong with free or mouthpiece buzzing, or using P.E.T.E. but I don't want to know you were doing it while driving and involved in an accident. Too, your insurance agent doesn't either ... nor would a Judge.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I need some psuedo scientific explanation! ;-) I was taught to make a poo (your pwhoo) sound when buzzing. Think they are the same thing, unless you're in Colorado and you say, "Pwhoo,that's a good buzz " :cool:

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    There really is no buzz with Pwhoo. Let's arrange a meeting in Colorado, and we can go to a local pwhoo bar for me to demonstrate. Remember we only blow and NEVER inhale!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you only blow without inhaling, then you surely suck!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I absolutely agree, and placing into context my comment as to "and NEVER inhale" which was in reference to a quote from one of our past Presidents when asked about smoking Marijuana stated, "I smoked it, but I never inhaled.