New member with an old trumpet needs advice.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by spefcymru, Nov 16, 2015.

1. spefcymru

spefcymru New Friend

Nov 12, 2015
    Wales
    Hi there. As a new member I could do with some advice on an old instrument and whether it may be worth getting repaired.
    I have recently decided to take up the trumpet, a bit strange for a drummer/guitarist perhaps but I fancied a change.
    I have an old silver coloured Selmer Nat Gonella Special which used to belong to an old brass tutor I used to know. It has a serial number of 1460 and the word balanced' on the middle valve followed by the letters AB. The pinky ring is missing and I think the valves might need looking at (they move quite freely but it sounds quite 'breathy' when played).

Any info on this instrument would be great, I have looked on the internet but am a bit lost.

2. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Welcome! You have a very neat instrument, and definitely should take it to a tech to have it get fixed. The selmer balanced models were somewhat unique, and have held up their value pretty well- especially if in good condition. My guess is that the serial number is actually around 14000, becausw that would put it in the time period these were being made; around 1931. I haven't heard much specifically about the nat gonella model, it could be a bit harder to find than the normal balanced models, in which case that's great! Good luck and have fun.

3. spefcymru

spefcymru New Friend

Nov 12, 2015
    Wales
    trumpet sn compressed.jpg Thanks for the prompt reply, I'm certainly enjoying it - at least when the rest of the house is empty!!!

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Selmer serial 14000 in 1931 is for a Cigar Cutter Saxophone. Trumpet serial 1460 is 1936 when Nat Gonella was leading a Band in England, 14000 trumpet is 1955.

Is there a number on the underside of the mouthpiece? They are a fairly rare model and worth looking after. I have only seen a couple on ebay in the last 7 years.

Regards, Stuart.

5. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Ah, my bad. Wrong serial number list!

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Stuart is the one I would ask about Selmer horns. He has most of them.

The breathy sound may be an air leak, or misaligned valves. Worth giving to a good tech to get a service and check it over, then you know what condition it is really in. It's a nice horn and worth looking after.

Welcome to TM.

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I wish:D, my modest collection of 15 is a reasonable representation of the range. I was bidding on a Nat Gonella Radio model some years ago when my daughter came in and distracted me and I missed the end.

Regards, Stuart.

8. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Poor you Stuart :(

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    You win some, you lose some, that's life, perhaps it was not meant to be, shortly after I won a very rare Ferron Selmer, only 10 were made.

Regards, Stuart.

10. spefcymru

spefcymru New Friend

Nov 12, 2015
    Wales
    View attachment 12932 Thanks for the info and welcome, and greetings from rainy Wales!. The leadpipe has BB LP stamped on it (see attached), is that what you were referring to Stuart? The mouthpiece with it is a Kosikup 1 1/2 with Bb T stamped on it. I have contacted a (relatively) local tech who comes highly recommended so I look forward to finding out more about 'John' the trumpet in the near future. (The guy who gave me the trumpet used to be a brass tutor named John). Diolch yn fawr pawb! (thankyou all!)