New Monette Mouthpiece or new C trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by timothypierson, Feb 20, 2005.

1. timothypierson

timothypierson Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2005
    Manny, I'm a comeback player and have been playing for about 9 months after taking 6 years off. I play principal trumpet in a local chamber orchestra and 2nd trumpet in the Community College Jazz ensemble. Right now I'm using an Amati C trumpet and a Marcinkiewics 1 with a symphonic backbore. I can currently afford to buy Monette mouthpieces for my Bb, C and Eb horns or buying a new C trumpet. Right now I'm not as consistant of a player as I want to be and I know a lot of this is due to being a comback player and continuing to work on mechanics. There are days where I can play Bach's Magnificat effortlessly and other days I struggle in the upper register. If I get the Monette mouthpieces first, I do have the advantage of going to the shop. I only live a 100 miles away.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Timothy,

If you decide to get the mouthpieces I would absolutely go to the shop and explain to whomever you speak to that you are a comeback player. If Dave can spend some time with you it would be time well spent. The Monette mouthpieces represent a significant enough departure from what you're used to that some time with Dave and company would be fun for you and helpful.

Please feel to mention my name as you call to make an appointment.

Enjoy!

ML

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    John Wayne dude,

Sorry I couldn't resist.

You didn't answer his question.

Personally I would go for one new mouthpiece and see how that affected my playing. The mouthpiece will take a while to get used to so be prepared.

I think that the mouthpiece is the most important part of the instrument, so if you want to upgrade I would start there.

At the very least if I gave you bad advise Manny will probably post again to correct things.

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA

That was very funny , the JW reference. LOL.

Yes, I saw what he was getting at but I'm not about to give opinions about choices like that. I just give the info. An exception to that rule would be Gina's post regarding the Maynard Ferguson mouthpiece for her 11 year old.

ML

5. timothypierson

timothypierson Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2005
    I used to play on a Monette B4 before I stopped playing. When I unpacked my equipment to start playing again, it was gone. What I loved about the mouthpiece is the way it slots on the horn. I also played on a B2 recently and felt pretty comfortable with it.

I might just get one though during spring break, and if I like it, pick up 2 more for the spring rehearsal schedule. I can play my C in tune and is working fine for me right now. I'll probably get a new C this summer.

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    The info you left earlier left me with a different impression from what I have now. It sounds like you know what you need to know.

ML

7. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Hi Manny, I saw the post regarding the MF Mpc. I play a Monette b6 but also own a Vintage Jet-tone MF mpc. The majority of my playing is done on my B6. My neice plays on a Mt. Vernon #7 which she likes better then her 7c. Sometimes I will switch her #7 with the MF (without her knowing as a "cruel" joke) and the result being, she would be better off blowing out candles. She cant get any response from it at all. When I saw that post I was surprised that MF mpce was even in that womens vocabulary regarding her son!!!! We are planning on coming out to Macphail on the 26th for the master class. :-)

8. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA

I'll look forward to it!

ML