New Monette mouthpiece size for you?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by loweredsixth, Jul 8, 2005.

1. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
    Mr. Laureano, is Dave making a new size just for you? I've heard something about a B1-4.

P.S. I'm sorry if this has been covered already.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I'm not sure I can say it was made for me, specifically. I've given him my thoughts about it. I have a prototype of the C1-4 that I've been playing. It's very fun... beautiful sound and lovely softs, in particular. I played it all week during the outdoor shows and they went great. Very buttery sound and you can crank it nicely for a little more impact and the quality is dandy.

I enjoy being Dave's guinea pig for some of his new concepts if they make sense for me. The results rarely surprise him because he has a knack for knowing what a mouthpiece is going to do even if it's unique. So, I guess that doesn't make me so much of a guinea pig but a happy performer!

ML

3. Kenzo

Kenzo Pianissimo User

Nov 18, 2003
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Manny,

You are quite right about Dave having a knack for knowing what we, as performers, want and if I may say, need. I called him about a mouthpiece issue, explained to him what I was playing (his of course) and what it did not do for me. We spoke for a while and he said he knew what I wanted. When the new mouthpiece arrived it was perfect. I've been thrilled with the piece since I received it.

Dave definitely has a gift.

Thanks for your time.

K

4. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    Manny

Where did John Wayne go?

Seriously, would you compare the C1-4 to other Monette mouthpieces you've used a lot (especially the C1-5 and C1-2)?

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    RAS,

The Duke is on vacation for a little while to wear a different uniform.

I dunno about the differences... they all feel, sound really good. Different rims, bowl shapes, throat sizes. They all work with slight variations on the impact of the sound and its color. The best ones to judge the differences are the audience members.

ML

6. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    If this new C1-4 is anything like the one I tried way back in the late 80's, it will be a great piece. For some reason, Dave only made a few back then. I remember that the rim is a bit rounder with a little less bite than the C1-2, but not nearly as round as the C1-1.

Only I imagine the new one is even better....... :D

7. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    Thanks for the info, Mike!!