New Monette Videos

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Apr 2, 2007.

1. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    Thanks, Jimi. I've heard of the King mini trumpets before but I didn't know they actually played well. Interesting...

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Manny,

I think I saw a little sticky valve in there.

3. ebtromba

ebtromba Pianissimo User

I enjoyed this.

So Manny, do you usually use C trumpet for the end of Petrouska?

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I have in the past and prefer it, EB. Recently, I've used picc for convenience in the section, however.

ML

5. ebtromba

ebtromba Pianissimo User

cool. you know, I have never understood why that has become the custom...it is not terribly high after all. I would guess it is because the piece is such long and tough blow that the shallow mouthpiece of the piccolo is a well addition to close it out.

There is a Cleveland orchestra recording of Petrouska (with Boulez I believe, this one The Cleveland Orchestra ) in which Mike Sachs and David Zauder are 1st and 2nd trumpets respectively. For the ending, Mr. Sachs uses a getzen piccolo and Mr. Zauder uses a Bb trumpet…and YOU CANNOT TELL THEM APART!!!! I suppose the fact that it is muted helps with this, but still I nearly lost it when it found this out, it is very astounding. Yet another example of how one’s equipment choice is no match for one’s mental concept of sound.