New mouthpiece = response issues?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I recently took my horn into Paiges Music for my yearly cleaning. Since it will be there for quite a few days, I just practice with an old junker horn that's at least 15 years old. While I was there I bought a new mouthpiece, the same size, the other one was just getting old and nasty. Both are a Bach 3C, but I've noticed on the new one I get response issues sometimes in even the mid register. I tried drinking some water, I did 8 breath attack quarter notes on a low C, all the way down to F# and then back up to low C, 8 breath attacks on each to try and gain response back, and it helped for about a minute. This confuses me because the mouthpieces are exactly the same, one is just newer. Any thoughts?

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Perhaps they are not EXACTLY the same, a very small change can make quite a difference in response, see how it goes after three weeks.

Regards, Stuart.

3. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    In my experience, no two Bach mouthpieces are exactly the same. That said, give it some time.

The different horn is quite likely also a factor.

4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I agree with Fraser above, especially about the horn as a factor. Since you haven't played on this horn much, some of your issues may come from that. I assume your chops will adjust in time with careful listening and proper technique, as it seems you are demonstrating.

5. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I bet the horn is the difference too. Also the new 3C is bound to be cleaner with less resistance.

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If the plating on the rim of your old mouthpiece was worn,the new rim might feel more slippery on your lips.

7. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Try playing the junker with the old mouthpiece....see if there's a difference.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It's like Chuck Cox has said, it's less a factor that the mouthpiece is different, in fact, with Bach, I think the stardard is pretty solid sizings. It is very much a factor that the trumpet is different. You have discovered this very important fact. It is the BACKBORE of the mouthpiece that most opens the sound of the horn. The front end that has the numbers 3C, 14A, 7C, have less of an effect (assuming the anatomy of the lip is comfortable on the numbered size) on opening the horn than the back side, which is numberless. The match of the mouthpiece bore to leadpipe bore is vital.

So repeat after me:
    It is the BACKBORE of the mouthpiece that most opens the sound of the horn.

Lord hear our praise, Lord hear our praise. Amen.

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Probably the horn, but I am curious as to how accurate is in manufacturing their mouthpieces

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What changes on a new mouthpiece is the "slickness" of the rim. The microscratches on the rim after use hold water and lubricate the lips. That is most likely the major difference.

If you are noticing a BIG difference, it is YOU. YOUR consistency, strength, body use is weaker than the difference between the mouthpieces. Even although Bach may have had some issues on mouthpieces, I think that this is only an excuse for weakness of the player. I think that the main complaints are referring to mouthpieces made before the 1990s. A well developed embouchure can get around the microscratch issues.

Take a deep breath and just play some long tones/slurs until you get more comfortable, alternatively, wipe the rim with a piece of newspaper to get some fine scratches.