New mouthpiece = response issues?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Jan 2, 2012.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree with ROWUK. I purchased 3 Bach 3C's last year (1 for me, 2 for my kids), and they all felt the same. Blame it on the horn. Blame it on the wear of the older mouthpiece. Blame it on the amount of pizza stuck in the older mouthpiece. Blame it on the player. The last thing I would blame it on is manufacturing differences between the two mouthpieces.

Mike

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I don't know Mike... I blame it on the Bossa Nova!

Eydie Gorme - Blame It On The Bossa Nova - YouTube

3. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    The match of the mouthpiece bore to leadpipe bore is vital...

Gmonady, can you please elaborate on how to determine if there is a good match? How large is the margin of acceptable tolerance? What the unwanted results are if there isn't? And if not, what to do about it?

Thanks.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I will give you the same advice given to me by my trumpet teacher during a session that we were focusing on increasing the sound of my trumpet. My teachers name was Claudio Roditi, and he explained that you had to experiment by using mouthpiece after mouthpiece until you HEARD the best match. There IS NO chart that will give you the answer. You have to FIND the correct match for your horn. At the end of my lesson, Claudio took me to his friend Jerome Callet's studio, where instead of trying out a series of mouthpieces, he asked Jerome to lathe for me on his equipment in his studio a backbore that matched my Olds Recording. After his fifth attempt, Jerome felt he accomplished the best match based on the sound I was able to produce in his studio. About 20 years later, on my own mouthpiece safari at a local music store here in Dayton, OH... I found one better than Jarome's for the Recording... Ths Schilke 14A4a. I still use both today, the Callet that produces a darker sound, and the Schilke that opens up the Recording with the most classical brassy sound.

What the unwanted results are if there isn't? What the unwanted results are if tolerances are not matched is a lesser sound.