New mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by erockent, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I've got a bunch of mouthpieces, and it's never easy to find "the perfect one" I'm still searching for it, my teacher is still searching for his, etc. I know a fellow who has 20,000++ mouthpieces in his basement which is also a fantastic trumpet shope near Rochester.
    Mouthpiece selection is all personal preference, and involves trial and error, and lots of time.
    As you're developing as a player, gear isn't a huge part, many mouthpieces won't do anything special for you unless you have the chops to find the difference and utilize it. The greatest gear in the world won't make you the greatest player, practice does that.
    I'd reccomend trying the local store or trying out your fellow section-mates mpcs and see if you find anything you like and go from there.

Good Luck!

2. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Well what meant was that he should consider working down to as large as 1 1/2C I was not advocateing he just toss his old one to the curb get a 1 1/2 C and force it to work. Obviously he has to be able to perform now while also feeling out what is going to work for him long term. THis is why I said he should probably do this over summer. Generaly Bach 1-5C/B are very good for a good many so haveing a 1C,3C,5C ,7C, 10C one would have almost every situation covered and one of those would end up being prefered for most of your work. Since Kelly has their 3 for $33 in Mellow Yellow and they only carry Bach rim profiles it seemed like a great place to get started ont he Cheap since one Stork,Schilikes,"Insert big name brand here" mouthpiece will cost you at the very least $40 and more then likely as much as $79 + insane shipping rate of $12.99 from a lot of the music stores my recomendation was grounded just as much in cost as anything else. Now if money where no object I would recomend he get 4 tops from Picket Brass and at least 2 back bores and call it a day.

No one can really tell some one over the intenet with 100% accuracy what mouthpiece they need to get to help them with their goal you can only make general statements based on what youhave tried and what has worked for you and people you know. I would not call a Bach 1-5 in B and C cup styles specialty mouth pieces those are really common. In fact if you look at the last 120 years of the trumpet you find that over all deep cup's with flat rims have been the most prevalant style it is only the last 30-50 years that every increaseing demand for shallow cup's and cushioned rims has exploded in popularity. In fact for the most part the deep v shape was the gold standard for a long long time.Bach probably has had the bigest single inpact in the mouthpiece design in that their cushioned rim design is the most widely copied in the industry as s their cup and back bore profile. This is why everyone that sells a mouth piece use's their chart as a comparison.

Just because something is popular ie the shallow beyond belief mouthpiece for example does not make it a good choice or even a ballanced design. Look at the range that the trumpet has when a mouthpiece is so specialized that you have to give up most of the natural range of the instrument or high spl levels at one end of the register then you really should have an alarm going off????? Why am I useing this mouthpiece? How come I have to give up so much? Does it make sense for me to give up so much range to better play above the staff?How come I can not play above the staff well with my 7C mouthpiece that came with my trumpet??? etc........... If the answere is because my chop's are weak then the mouthpiece is a band aid and nothing more. So at what point do you decide to work on your chops so that you can use the band aid less often?

In fact when you look at these dimes with holes in them that are pretending to be mouthpieces they almost always say something like "Lead Trumpet or Solo Trumpet" that is like saying "Warning if you want to or need to play more then just Lead Trumpet this mouth piece is not for you!!!". Now granted I am not a commercial artist or anything like that but I was a trumpet player and I do not recall my day being spent operateing aboce the staff all day long! In fact most of my time was spent bellow that.

Now I will admit because I played bariton and tuba as well I am biased toward the larger mouth pieces. That does not though mean that they are not a better place to be for the most part. I think too many people make too much about the larger mouth pieces...Seriously look at these from a mathmatical perspective and compare to the rrest of the brasswind family and the largest trumpet mouthpiece really is not that large as compared to the smallest other then the depth of the cup and how free the back bore is. The good thing is that because their is so many companies to choose from one you have a point of refrence from playing the more common sizes you can then easily look on a chart from another company and chose with relative ease what you think will work best but you have to have some refrence point and that is where the common Bach sizes come into play they serve as very good points of refference since almost everyone use's the Bach chart to describe their product.

3. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Wow Lovevixen, you've only been a member since November and you already have 116 posts? Where do you find the time?

4. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

You are absolutely correct, Lovevixen, in saying that a mouthpiece is not a crutch that will help you ultimately improve. However, a mouthpiece is a very personal choice, and can vary greatly from player to player. I study with a symphonic player who plays ridicukously small mouthpieces, yet gets a huge huge sound out of them. I also play with guys who can play lead on a Bach 1 1/2. It's all about the player, as you said, and no particular characteristic that is typically associated with one type of playing(i.e, small=lead, big=symphonic, etc.) will necessarily suit one player.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I agree with solar bell. the large mpc is the way to go is outdated thinking. we know better know. According to Hersuth's biography the mpc he played in Chicago from 1948 until the late 50's was the one he started on as a beginner, a 7C. he switched to a bach 1 because of scar tissue from a car accident injury to his lip.

Check it out. it's in the ITG journal from 1998.

6. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Well roared lion!

7. Gonzatrumpet

Gonzatrumpet New Friend

Dec 16, 2008
    what are some beneficits using 3c mouthpiece?