New Mute Adjustments?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Jarrett, May 13, 2005.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Hey guys, I'm a little in the dark on this, as I've always just used whatever I could beg borrow or steal (not literally) as far as mutes go, but, I've been told that you should "tune" your mute when you get it new. This was supposedly accomplished by shaving the cork, getting the best fit etc.... do you guys know anything about this? I just recently bought a good set of mutes and It's the first time I've had any new ones. I always seemed to inherit mutes before... I have no idea how or from whom....
    Lemme know, I'm in the dark on the mute thing.
    -J

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I've "adjusted" a couple of mine to fit the larger bell on the B1. I added a thin "shim" of cork so that the cup mute wouldn't hit the bell. (No, it isn't "tuning" the way you meant")

You know that a mute changes the overall intonation of a horn; straight mute sharpening it, cup mute flattening it (at least, I "think" that's what I've been told). I believe that you just add/subtract "cork" until you find the change of intonation to be at a minimum.

It's interesting that I had to adjust my mutes for the Shilke (they had been previously used on a 37ML180). I was a bit concerned when the MR came "into the household" to the extent that I was prepared to buy a second set of mutes. Turned out I didn't need to.... they worked fine in the MR. :dontknow: