New Mutes from Roger Ingram?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by bobmiller1969, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I just got home about an hour ago from a long day of playing and the Zinger and Yamaha adjustable aluminum cup were waiting for me. Now I got these mutes because I needed something with extra volume with mutes. I put the Zinger in and WOW..loudest harmon sound I've ever heard.. I just recorded my first try with it on photo booth..just a little bit as I was afraid I'd wake up my landlady downstairs!;-)

bobmiller1969 likes this.
  2. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Eegads..the Yamaha cup is loud! Just what I was looking for..even with the cup all the way to the bell I had to hold back a lot.. I'll post some more the next few days as I try these out.. I got a couple of gigs next weekend and a gig this weekend I'll probably use it on and see how they play in actual working conditions. Of course this Yamaha cup isn't going to have the same sweet sound as the Ingram..but this one is for volume when I need it!

3. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Just messin' around with the Zinger before I head back out to this session - where I think I can use it! I'm thinking I might just be able to use this on some tunes even off-mic - Which would be a first for me for a harmon. I still like my dented up (as instructed by Bobby Shew who got it from Clark Terry) Aluminum Jo-Ral bubble for the mic - but this Zinger is powerful! My Jo-Ral bubble didn't sound that good at all before I dented it up.. This Zinger has quite a nice sound for such a loud harmon..and I didn't even need to ding the Zing!;):roll:

4. bobmiller1969

bobmiller1969 Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2008
    Mays Landing, New Jersey
    Wow! That even Trumcor really seems to project. I imagine it would work well in a big band setting, but not so much in close mic situations. How does it feel? Is it pretty open?
    Will you be using the cup for solo or section work? Again, great projection, but not sure how well it would blend with other players. Sounds similar to my jo-ral with all of the felts taken out, at least from the video.
    Nice playing! Thanks for sharing.
    I have a couple more new mutes on the way. I’m pretty happy with the Ingram, but still looking for the perfect Harmon sound. I’m keeping the jo-ral copper, but have a Leblanc on the way.

Ljazztrm likes this.
  5. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Hey Bob, great ear/'mute discernment' man!;-) I am right on the same page with you as far as your observations. I got the Trumcor Zinger because I have always looked for a harmon mute that I could play during just a regular session or gig that I could use without a mic which I could still hear behind the horn. Many times, on a session/gig when I pop a harmon in, I get compliments from the other players on my mute choice..the only problem is, without a mic, I usually can't hear myself well on any medium to up-tempo tunes at 'normal jazz volume'. But I am finding, with the Zinger, I can do this much more easily. Yes, it feels very open to play..definitely the most open blowing harmon I've played. In fact, when practicing at home and I need to be quieter, I just pop Matt Anklan's Silencer in the Zinger and I have a very free blowing, moderately quiet, practice mute.

For Harmon mic work, I go right to my aluminum Jo-Ral bubble that I dented up. I like it even better than my copper JR bubble..even to the point where (Eee-Gads!!) I dented up my copper bubble too just to see! For some reason, the dented up aluminum sounds the best. Also I should mention the aluminum Best Brass mute as far as loud Harmons..before mine got stolen, I was using that as my 'loud Harmon'. Excellent free-blowing, loud harmon..but the Zinger takes it to a new level.

For cup section work I find that it's pretty standard protocol to come to the gig with an H&B cup and the standard Harmon B harmon mute. I got the Yamaha mute for gigs where the bandleader wants the trumpet muted even though it's too loud to mute it. Some bandleaders see the trumpet and automatically assume 'loud' - They don't know about the TF mouthpiece technology now, etc. So, yeah, this cup is not for blending..It is like my great Walnut Facet mute.. but even louder, which is what I was looking for...the Walnut Facet was my go to loud cup. With the cup all the way in, the Yamaha does get a nice, intimate jazz sound..but still loud.. but, for mic work, I go to my vintage adjustable Shastock cup. Depending on recording sessions coming up, I may have to invest in that sweet sounding Ingram you have:-)

6. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my incredible Peter Gane bucket mute. I've tried a lot of different buckets over the years...but nothing comes close to the beautiful sounding, in-the-bell Peter Gane bucket..well worth the expensive $$. Not as loud as the Walnut Facet/Yamaha adjustable.. but for when you want a louder mute and still want to play open bell.. To me, it's like putting a 'TF' mouthpiece in an open bell trumpet.. Somewhat different sound of course..but in that spectrum.
    Gane is at about :51 into it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 9:39 AM
  7. bobmiller1969

bobmiller1969 Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2008
    Mays Landing, New Jersey
    This thread is going to cost me a lot of $! That bucket sounds nice, and I really like the design of it. I'm not sure I'd have a lot of use for it.

Best bucket mute sound on record to me would have to be KD on My ideal off of the Quiet Kenny album. I read that he actually played into a motorcycle helmet, not a bucket. Not sure if I'd want to lug that around in my mute bag.

Interesting that you mention the TF. I started playing on Curry mouthpieces about 2 months ago, and I'm really happy with them. Mostly, I play on the 3C, but switch to the 3MZ for a bit more ease in the upper register. They don't back up on me the way my Reeves did, and have been forcing me to use less pressure/more air. I might have to check that out.

8. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Oh shoot! I remember in college my buddy and I wondered about that sound..interesting! Also KD really did get a unique sound with the open bell on QK and some of those other albums... I always was thinking he was playing some kind of deep V cup mouthpiece.

Yeah man, the TF is deep! I actually find the TC cup more practical as it's a little shallower with a little tighter throat.. But, since your ready to drop a lot of $$ because of me (haha!), you could get a 3TC for intimate small group jazz work in the small clubs and have the 3TF in your pocket for the ballads;-)

I love all the Curry cup options.. For screaming lead, I've used the XS cup before.. BRIGHT!