New or Old, which is better?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Nov 14, 2010.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    In an effort to help stop the slide into Monetteness, I'll add this to the thread:

I think I have the best of both worlds with my '78 Getzen. A vintage classic, it's not that old and the company that made it is not only still in business, but thriving. The local tech here was able to get braces and valves springs directly from Getzen. When I go looking for something brand new, probably a C trumpet, down the road, I'll look at Getzen first.

Turtle

2. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I second the vote for Getzen, a small family owned business right here in the USA! The people there are very nice as well. They went to great lengths to explain the hand making process to me, and went into even greater detail on the hand hammering of trumpets. When you consider the price of a new Getzen, it is a bargain when factoring in the artisans at work turning out quality products by hand. It just does not carry that "snob" appeal.

So, to stick to the original premise, when it comes to new or old, my advice is to
    "Get a Getzen."

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  3. likesRawCopper

likesRawCopper Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2010
    Georgia, United States
    This Austin Winds Stage 470LT Bb Trumpet in raw copper and brass has, IMO, a major drool factor that's off the scale.

Stage470LTCopper

When I get my lip back, I'm paying them a visit.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I second that .....

Get a Getzen!

Turtle

5. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Just heard from a good friend of mine who has been a professional musician all of his adult life, was a high school classmate, graduate of UNT School of Music, and is very active in the LA music scene. When I posed the question of new vs. vintage, his reply was that while there are many examples of good vintage horns that are highly desirable, the new top of the line offerings from manufactures such as Selmer (Bach) and Yamaha, just to pick a couple of names, are every bit as good as the horns they manufactured decades ago. And Colin would be a good judge as he has played most everything available, new and old, and has a collection of instruments.

Now I have to qualify this because my friend is a saxophone artist (I played sax for 14 years), but it would seem that his opinion on this issue would still be a valid argument.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    OK. I'll bite. What?

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Wymboldon, Marsachussetts. They used to build jazz trumpets there over 50 years ago......................

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    [​IMG]

9. Big Country

Big Country New Friend

Nov 13, 2010
    Smithfield, VA

OK, now I have to ask. WY? :-)