New or Old, which is better?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I would venture that it would to a large degree depend on the hand making process involved, and the current generation of craftsmen, plus CNC technology available today that was not used in the past. Are the craftsmen of today inferior to yesterday's generation? Has the technology advanced from generations past?

With regards to Getzen, just to pick a name I am most familiar with, both Mary and Bret went to great lengths to give me an education on the craftsmenship required for a new trumpet that wears the Getzen logo.

I agree there are some vintage horns that are awesome. But equally, there are current models from different manufacturers that are as good, although they will lack the nostalgia factor.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I "currently" own 3 Getzen's (recovering from n+1). I have yet to play a current Getzen I like as much as my 900H or Severinsen. The Super Deluxe is good but I bought it just because. Am I unreasonable? Hope not. Am I just satisfied with what I have? Maybe. I do believe there are certain horns, and other things, that are unique and never to be surpassed in quality or value. Any maker is going to say there current line-up is better than previous models. Olds comes to mind. No one is going to say our new stuff isn't as good as the old but we're still here for you. They are in business to make money. I would like to play an Edwards someday (Getzen's custom line) to see how they compare. Is a Monette better? Absolutely!! Do I want to spend that kind of money (and I could)? No.

3. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I'm just curious if you've ever played the Mike Vax model from Getzen? As a new player, my trumpet universe is rather small. If there is a vintage Getzen that is better than the MV, I'll open up my wallet!

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I like the nostalgia of the vintage trumpets but truthfully, if I had unlimited funds, I'd be checking out new just as much as old. First stop would be a drive to Monette .... it's only 4 hours, but many thousands of dollars away.

Turtle

5. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    According to a teacher and friend of mine, an Austin Winds trumpet is a Monette without all of the hype (and $$$).

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have not played the Mike Vax but know some who have and it's a good horn.
    As far as vintage Getzen, the old Eterna line prior to the 80's is hard to beat. This would include the Severinsen models. A 900H (tilted bell) is a very tough act to follow (actually ,you can't do it ;-)). Because of the bracing there is more "exposed" bell to resonate vs. a conventional setup. I have only played one horn brighter than it and it was a Conn 40B/Vocabell. I am old school in that I want my trumpet to sound like a trumpet. None of that mellow crap with "honey drippin'" overtones for me. If I want mellow I'll pull out my cornets or flugel. That could be why I don't like a lot of the newer horns. They aren't "trumpetee" enough for my taste. Trouble with the 900H is they are few and far between. Their rarity makes large bore Committees look like Ambassadors and most were played till they would play no more. If you ever come across one, you should strongly consider buying it. In 4 years of looking on eBay, I've only seen 2!! If I had the money at the time, they would be mine!! Peter from OZ bought one of them. Severinsens are plentiful if you want to go the eBay way. I would be sure that there is at least a 7 day trial/return period after receiving the horn. If not, walk away. Always play before you pay!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Never heard that. Could be someone just blowin' smoke trying to piggyback on Monette's rep!

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    tobylou8,

If we keep talking about how nice the pre-80's Severinsens are, they won't be so plentiful on ebay!:evil:

Just kidding. I don't need another one, the one I have is perfect. I would imagine that Getzen could make them just like that, the ones from the 70's and 60's, again. Couldn't they? I'll bet whatever the old Doc horn has morphed into at Getzen is a fantastic instrument.

Turtle

9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Hi Guys,

The answer is how long is a piece of string, some like old some like new. I have a very old Besson Brevette Flugel and a very old cornet (Besson Brevette) and a new chinese import (John Packer 251sw) I love them all

Work it out try it out and go for it

Cheers

Andrew

10. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Nope. No smoke here at all.