New or Old, which is better?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Nov 14, 2010.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    My take on it is that there was a sweet spot in time for the creation of horns where the value of the horn in society was greatest.

From what I understand modern horn creation has been stratified, by the Bach mega corp, which has bought out the lines of yore and shoddified them. Leaving high end custom contraptions built by independents, a mediocre Strat' line, and any number of beginner model variations that aren't too different and band director approved.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Had this same discussion after swing band tonight. Conn isn't Conn anymore. It's just a name on a "General Motors" type instrument.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If that's really true, 1800 +/- is one sweet deal, based on what I saw. That would almost end this discussion cuz it's a no brainer.:shock::lol:

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    My info source certainly can be trusted in this regard. But out of respect to him, I won't be a name dropper.
    The reviews on Brass Review are extremely favorable as well. These horns are built by Kanstul for Austin Winds.
    In addition, the staff there is extremely customer oriented!

5. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    This is one reason I chose to purchase a new Getzen, thinking that it is still an American family owned small company...and a human being actually answers the phone!

6. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I own some really great vintage horns. (see my sig) They are as good as almost anything made today. I haven't played a Monette (-5pts spelling error) or a Harrelson, but some old horns are great horns. Some old horns are dog $h*^. My students have some really nice student line horns. I've played and own some really nice modern horns. I have also played some modern horns that are dog $h*^. A good horn is a good horn. A bad horn is a bad horn. New, vintage, whatever.

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    [​IMG]

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Are you saying it's as good as a Monette and made by Kanstul or that Monettes are made by Kanstul?:lol:

9. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    That is what I was told...but without all of the B.S. and hype!

10. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    To get back to the origional topic of this thread - New Or Old? I played nothing but vintage horns for years - partly due to budget limitations, but also because I LOVED the horns I was playing. The reason I switched to modern horns is simple - they are replaceable! It's really scary when the horn you're relying on for gigs gets damaged or a part goes missing, and you have absolutely no way to have it replaced. Playing modern horns means I can get parts or a replacement horn without having to search for months or have them specially made - a real relief when you're gigging on a regular basis!