New or Old, which is better?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Nov 14, 2010.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Oh, that's why you suffer having to play horns like on your list!! At least the good company of other Marcinkiewicz artists will help you comiserate and drown your sorrows!
    Poor flugleygirl!!ROFL

2. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Come to think about it...horns are a lot like women. The older ones are not nearly as expensive, and often times they are actually better!

Can't claim this as original, but wish I could.

3. joe1joey

joe1joey Piano User

Jul 3, 2010
    E.Panhandle WV
    Excellent perspective in my opinion....until the last reflection. I believe that it would be impossible for many top players of the past to gravitate to the current excellent horns, when 'their' current horns were of their sound and of at least equal quality to today's best. Also consider that current models of the most elite makers, as mentioned, are to the greater part, redesigners of vintage horns.

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Now, Veery, who ever said I was suffering??:-? I just said if you're gigging it's a whole lot easier to replace a new horn than an old one! How much luck do ya think Chris Botti'd have replacing that Martin if the airlines killed it - it'd be difficult! Bobby Shew or Wayne Bergeron, however, could get a new horn in an hour and hardly notice the difference. That's why it's EASIER to play new horns. However, old horns are just as good, if not better. I still love my calicchio just as much as when it was my main axe;-)

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thats a very good and valid point. I have some great players that are close to pristine. I really don't use them because of the expense of repair. Thats why I bought my Ambassador for rehearsals. Too many close calls from sound techs.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm guessing that the legendary players I'm referring to (the Dizzys, Mileses, Morgans and so forth) could play any of the great horns of today and make them sing. Like Flugelgirl suggests, since they would be very busy gigging musicians today, they might go for a new horn whose manufacturer was currently thriving.:dontknow:

Fun to speculate.

turtle

7. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    [​IMG]

(Yes, I swiped this from Dale Proctor, but it is fitting for the occasion.)

It would take a lot to pry my Olds Recording or my Conn 38B from my hands. I'm sure there are many new horns out there that are superlative instruments, but their prices would be far in excess of the combined value of both of these horns. I'm not sure the value would be there for me.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I wuz bein' sarcastic, FG!

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I hate to quote myself :oops: but to carry this thought further .... IF I was a gigging and travelling musician right now, with Bb being the only thing I needed, say for a jazz band ........ I'd be up a creek without much technical support. Look at my signature. Only ONE of those is really currently playable (the '24 Martin) and the one that's been forever at the tech's is the one that has a currently thriving company behind it (the Getzen of course!:thumbsup:). Now, of the one that's gig ready, I wouldn't have a clue where to get a replacement part and so, if someone booted it off stage in a stumble, they'd be looking for a replacement trumpet player! :shhh:

The Turtle

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

Finally we know what you and Dale look like! Pretty cool you got to do promo work for Olds! ROFLROFL

If you think about it, the greats were for the most part using the latest greatest horns available to them. I remember as a young child when Maynard switched to Holton, all my dad's students started showing up with new Holtons. My dad even bought a Herriot Holton (n+1 is a time honored tradition :-)). Professional gigging is like any other business. The more work, the more equipment. I wouldn't go buy an antique truck for my business for daily use. Might be fun in a parade, but my livelihood depends on something that is dependable AND I can repair quickly if needed.