New or Old, which is better?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Nov 14, 2010.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

This is a discussion I'd like to participate in, but frankly, I've yet to even see a Monette in person. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to paying a large sum for something great, in the future, but I'm wondering how the average joe gets to try one out.

I'm not clear on just what the cost is ... but for a professional, it could be well worth it. I have a violin teaching friend who has an instrument that cost around $15,000 (it's 250 years old) and a bow to go with it that was $1,500. She's a symphony player now. Of course, a violin player doesn't usually need anything else ..... like doubling on other instruments, a viola or whatever, so one is usually enough.

Whatever a Monette costs, it can be insured.

Turtle

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  2. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm a new trumpet player (5 mos. trumpet playing, 56 yrs. life playing), so my universe in the world of trumpets does not have the benefit of the decades of experience that many of you probably have accumulated.

Having made that statement, I have had the opportunity to play many nice horns all of which were new. As my search for a trumpet was underway (I bought a Custom Getzen), people advised that when you get the right horn it should pretty much feel right to your hands and everything else from the first blow. No one ever mentioned anything about having to get "used to it" in order to make a decision...but again, I'm just a rookie, so by my own admission, what do I know?

But, once again, horns are mysteriously like women...you make your choice, and then you live with it.

But I'm still waiting to play that '56 Connie...hey Corky, are you listening?

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Your life is not incomplete when you haven't played a Monette. The Monette and a Mercedes are a poor comparison as the Benz is a fine mass produced vehicle that is compatible with every "normal" road and predictable for most drivers. The Monette is one of a very small quantity of custom made horns. The design goals are towards resonance and color. Comparing them to mass produced horns disqualifies whoever made the claim. If you can't tell the difference, you haven't played both. Period.

I really get a case when anyone takes a cheap shot at any artisan. It isn't just Monette. I have heard similar things at art exhibitions where the uninformed claim that their 5 year old daughter painted better than Picasso or after a gig that Wild Turkey is better than a fine single Malt. In these cases, it is not even a question of preference, it is a question of education. The greatness of art can't be quantified to the prejudiced.

To put this perhaps in another perspective, I have students under 13 years old that have no trouble discerning between horns. I guess there are some pros out there that missed something during lessons.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    One thing that I find very revealing about Monettes is that there aren't many used ones available. The promo video on Dave's website is interesting and fun to watch, I wish my sound system here was better .... I can't deny, it's absolutely intriguing, especially when these custom horns are being made right here in Oregon. It's too bad my local store doesn't have one, especially that lightweight MF horn.

I suppose one way to explore the Monette sound concept would be to buy one of their mouthpieces. These can be had on ebay and it's not too difficult to identify popular models. Maybe that's what I'll try next. Not that I really NEED to, but it's just too much fun. It's Christmas time! :woop:

Turtle

5. joe1joey

joe1joey Piano User

Jul 3, 2010
    E.Panhandle WV
    Terms used by a moderator which indicate an educated and mature perspective looking askance at those lower minions of lesser artistic sensitivities, likely not to have the educated palette of his oh so youthful charges never the less his own preference of quaff...PLEASE!
    Not everyone agrees on a forum, but multiple lashing outs over a gentle second hand comment by a gentleman who's supposed position is to be moderate...is simply lacking taste.

6. Big Country

Big Country New Friend

Nov 13, 2010
    Smithfield, VA
    I guess it is the same with any topic. Bue Eyes or brown? Red head or blonde? Convertible or 4X4 monster truck. Thing is the guy driving a convertible Ferarri with a blonde should not look down on those driving the 3/4 ton lifted 4x4 pick up with the brunette, and vice versa. That is why it is called PERSONAL preference. I personally believe my life will go on just fine regardless of wether or not I get to play a Monette.

As for the thread Old definitely old.

7. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    Not hardly!! I have played both...IMO no comparison!!

8. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    I have played almost every horn known to man and I have played the Austin Wind trumpets.....as well as taking a Monet home for a few weeks!
    The Austin Wind Trumpets are real nice horns.....but sorry to say they do not even compare to the Monet...

9. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    24 hrs soaking in the detergent for dishes and water killed al the bacteriae and viruses, but also all the lacquier fell off, which is good thing because the lacquier was old and ruined - now it looks much much better, and the smell is gone

it is 1948 Holton

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I don't really want to get too far in to the Monette and everything else debate as I have never played one myself, I have stood next to one while it was being played and thoroughly enjoyed listening. I would hate to think that a genuine artisan was being belittled, having just had the opportunity to play a few (3) custum horns. Including one heavy weight job which I felt had the look of a Monette styled horn (he wasn't making any claims about it being a copy but it had that sort of look and slotted wonderfully well) These three horns are simply the best things I have played. Long Live the artisan for those that can afford and like a particular horn and long live the non artisan for those that can't afford or like the sound of a given model. For sound I would, had money allowed, gone for his lighter horn but lack of cash prohibits.

Cheers

Andrew

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010