New or Old, which is better?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Nov 14, 2010.

1. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Played a TV spot this morning with a big band. I used my Eclipse MR instead of my Conn 40B. I love the way the Eclipse plays, but I should have taken the Conn. Nothing cuts like that Conn.

2. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    It appears that one or more individuals were taken aback with the Austin Winds / Monette comparison. This was nothing more than the legitimate opinion of a highly respected professional player that was passed on to me. Your mileage may vary.

Now, if I claim that my Corvette is a Ferrari without all the hype (and $$$), I would suspect Ferrari owners may take it personal. On the other hand, most Corvette owners would take it as a compliment. But at no time was anyone's ability or reputation being dissed.

Now, if you want to buy a Ferrari or a Monette, knock yourself out! And...congratulations!

And, my vote is in...in some cases old is better than new, and sometimes new better than old. How's that for a commitment?

Big Country likes this.
  3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    When the Corvette owner claims that his car is the same as a Ferrari, it makes me question the intelligence of the Corvette guy.

You can apply that to the trumpet as you see fit.

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I would suggest you take a drive in a new ZR-1.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    TD,
    it doesn't matter what the new Corvette does. It is still not a Ferrari and never will be. The Ferrari will also not be a Porsche or Corvette.

In this case you were comparing a medium quality mass produced horn to one that is custom built for a specific person. It is a no brainer that they will be considerably different. Writing off the difference as hype is stupid, just like writing off the 'vette or Ferrari as hype compared to a medium quality mass produced Hyundai.

I would prefer to compare it to fine wine. You can also get drunk on a $300 bottle of wine. It tells those around you everything that they need to know.

If you have an Austin and are happy, great. There are enough other players that prefer a different resonant behaviour..........

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    A pro player saying that they endorse an instrument means something to me.

I think it unfair to say that someone told me that this is good or bad, it's hearsay. Plus, we don't know who the person is and we don't know who the poster is. A double whammy.

First hand means something. Not everything because who knows what the agenda is. Maybe the person speaking has stock in the company.

I think the best way to know about a trumpet is to play it.

7. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Just to repeat, a highly respected professional who has toured Europe as well as the USA, is the one who gave me the info on various trumpets. And his knowledge is all first hand. I trust him to the point that when he says something, you can take it to the bank. As a courtesy to him, he shall remain nameless.

No one's reputation was ever tarnished, intentionally or otherwise.

But as this is not a police state (yet), anyone is free to disagree, and several of you have been verbose in your opinions. And in the end, this whole medium is mostly personal opinions, which makes it interesting.

BTW, one of my trumpets is a 3001MV, and it's a great horn. Never said it was better than brand (take your pick), but it suits me just fine!
    And, having owned Porsches, Mercedes and Corvettes, I'll still take the Vette (ZR-1) over any other performance car!

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    He told you first hand which means something to you. You are telling us second hand and most likely paraphrasing.

Another problem with the statement is that we are to believe that there is a lot of "hype" about Monette. I reject that statement. When he makes a statement that Monette has "hype" it makes me discount his assertion that the trumpets play the same.

The idea that hype and high price are mentioned together with Monette leads me to believe that the statement is meant to denigrate Monette, not bolster the other brand.

9. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Another perfectly good thread turns into a Monette thread.

10. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    At least they haven't mentioned the WY word yet....:-?