New Orleans/ Public Playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    So I visited New Orleans for my first time last spring. Of course I had ALL these expectations of jazz and fun (because it's NEW ORLEANS!), but I was in for a real shocker...

I was RIGHT. I love that city so much. This one night we were visiting Bourbon St, and this brass band came out of the woodwork (playing lots of Youngblood Brass songs and such). It was incredible.

The thing is, I don't think there are many places like that left anymore, holding on to rich traditions. All these codes and restrictions. Gainesville might be a good place to start.. (in the past year the district Supreme Court or something overturned the constitutionality of a sound ordinance).

I'm not referring to just jazz though. I really believe we need people to get out there and start playing, to go out there and find people, instead of people finding us. And if it's not legal, perhaps we can find a way to make it legal.

What do YOU all think?

Mark

2. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    I agree wholeheartedly. I recently saw a video of a solo cellist that does that sort of thing all over. The vid I saw was of him playing Bach I think, at occupy wall street. He was great.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    sounds like a great plan -- so, young man can I ask a question? when is the last time you went out on the quad or in a cafeteria on campus and serenaded your fellow students???? That would be a little sidestep to their usual course of the day where their young minds "full of mush" are being replaced with sound learning --- AGAIN, it would then be your job as a producer of fine trumpet music - TO THEN help inject their "minds full of mush" WITH some culture, some jazz, some REAL music .

YEAH man - that is a great idea.

4. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Haha, one step at a time.
    I've started playing and practicing some outside. I get nervous like a boss! But we'll move on to that. We had a day here at UF (Fine Arts Culture) where a bunch of us DID do that =D

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think you are confused young man -- to get nervous like a BOSS---- for example ----- The Boss" Maynard Ferguson, would he really be nervous playing outside?????? and the only cure for being nervous, is to just get out there and do it... CULTURE, jazz, blues, classical--- think of all that you are depriving your fellow college students from by NOT PLAYING. I mean, where else are they going to get "culturalized" in music - WITHOUT YOU???? ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Maybe you wouldn't expect a lone bagpiper on any street in the U.S., but often in Alexandria VA you will. As he pipes he walks thru Old Town. I'm told at first some objected, but now they laud his performance as an attraction ... and it seems there are different pipers in full Scot's regalia doing this.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Ed,

We've got one of those guys .... he plays his bagpipes occasionally in the park and you can hear him all across town. This place is pretty small and I've seen it go from loud, hippy enclave (with some really nice clubs) to a variety of city ordinances against excessive noise (NOISE????? Leaf blowers ... that's noise:roll: but we have no laws against them). The clubs disappeared, but are coming back now with a ressurgence. During all this time, the street musician scene has gone from healthy to grungy and homeless (the quality of music went way down). Now, if you try and play on the street (I don't), you could wind up on the front page of the newspaper, illustrating a story about homelessness (like my friend, who is definitely not homeless).

Thank God for a place like New Orleans ..... keeping the street life alive.

Turtle

8. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    We shouldn't say "Gainesville" and "make it legal" in the same paragraph. The local police are all over this site. Just kidding.
    I think music at our local establishments here in Raleigh/Cary has been on the rise. We have seen a "step up" from dueling pianos and garage bands to Jazz and Rock that adds to the street life. People seem to be tired of being told they are broke and the economy is in the worst shape in decades. When the lenders are knocking on our doors, what difference does $50 make ? Do your best to be financially responsible, but take time to party.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm in a dilemma! There isn't any FREE open space to play where the public would hear within a 25 mile radius of Jackson NC. Certainly can't be right in Jackson when Court is in session or after 5:00 PM as then it would agitate the inmates in the county jail across the street from the Courthouse, and too the business district here in Jackson closes it's doors after 5:00 PM. Thus, it is only a "straggler" who would be walking the streets after hours, or one of us oldies doing our walking thing.

Yep, gas powered mowers, trimmers, blowers are disturbing to the extent they wake me from my afternoon naps I take after my practice session. That's seemingly when Joe mows, trims, and blows our lawn. In the aftermath of Irene it was really disturbing with the addition of so many chain saws operating, including my own. Otherwise, the only sound I think is is greater here is the cotton gin and whose playing would attempt to compete with that. Oh sure, the sirens of first responders top the list for dicibels, but such are only momentarily except at 7:00 PM on Monday evenings when they run a weekly test on the town siren that otherwise calls all the volunteer fire personnel.

History reflects trains use to run through Jackson, thus our Railroad St and Depot Street, but there is no trace of them now other than these street names and they haven't been here in the 44+ plus years of our marriage when before we moved here permanently in 2009 I prior often visited. Still, in two homes where we lived in NVa I could hear a distant diesel train horn frequently but seemingly they didn't disturb me. Is such because I've just completed setting up my HO train Christmas display with the remaining 3 sets of trains I still have (I once had 11, but sold the rest to an auto dealer who set them up in the his showroom at Christmas time). It was a Marx tinplate train that set our Christmas tree on fire when I was about 4 years old and my parents didn't allow another after that. It was really the cat's fault!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  10. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    That is a rough situation for sure. Perhaps just playing outside the home may have an impact?
    I visited Jackson before Irene, it was a lovely place, I'm sure it still is.