New Orleans/ Public Playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The main street of Jackson is Jefferson Street aka U.S. 158 the main route East of I-95 to the Outer Banks Altantic beach resorts. Still, you couldn't listen to only one song on your car CD player before you passed through. There isn't a hotel/motel and no restaurant to get a meal after 2:00 PM M-F and 1:00 PM Saturday and not at all on Sunday. All in all I'd say the architecture hasn't past the 1940s and many homes predate the Civil War and a few of these are grandiose. Many trees are over 5 stories high. It was primarily trees and roofs that were damaged here, but within 100 miles more Easterly the damage was extensive. Too, Irene struck heavily on 10th Street in Roanoke Rapids NC 17 miles West of me.

Many Crepe Myrtle trees border the main street and presently these are strung with Christmas lights. What gets to me is the friendliest of the population. Drivers passing our front porch wave. Yes, I sit on the porch often and play ... but I'm sure no one would want to listen to me practice or rehearse.

2. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    Lol. Sad but true. Though don't worry, they're only after teachers.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IF music were one of the biggest money producing attractions to your town, just how many ordinances would there be in opposition to all forms of it? If any, IMO they would be minimal and most not enforceable in Court.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Our Stage Band set up in the street just last night - we'd been in touch with the Chamber of Commerce (but not the Police) and set up on a busy road outside a KFC "chicken frying plant" and a Subway outlet - just in the street.

The lady in the nearby cake shop hand delivered "Munchies" for us, the cars beeped as they drove by, people gathered to listen (and dance), not many but some, and the Band played on - very tight, controlled and musical.

Ted added interest with a couple of accidental accidentals but no-one seemed too bothered. No sign of the Police, no adverse reaction from the locals - in fact quite the opposite. We were not busking - we just took our Tuesday night rehearsal outside.

My young brother plays "the Pipes" and his practice routine is to march up and down his street - no adverse reaction, even though "the Pipes" aren't everyone's "cup of tea".

So my suggestion - and I know it's difficult sometimes due to weather - is just take it outside - don't put the hat out because you need a permit to busk for cash - and just play the best you can.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Now that sounds like OZ might be a place I'd really like to retire to. ' Course that dream disappeared when I woke up.

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Well, it's relative isn't it? Anyone can make "music" in open spaces and that's welcome? I would suggest that for many, they would actually only like it only as long as the "music" doesn't offend them. I can tell you that I don't want to listen to any Highland piper playing yet another lame version of Amazing Grace if I'm sitting on the seawall at Waikiki in the evening looking out to sea.

Additionally, the OP's premise is a bit skewed in the first place. No N.O. brass band is going to break out in joyous refrain in just any ole place in the city at one in the morning and get away with it. That kind of activity is restricted to certain parts of the city.

I'd also like to know what kind of parallel universe the OP lives in who thinks that musicians aren't taking the music to the people. Where possible, one finds musical groups in many venues, bookstores, malls, subways, public parks, libraries, just about anyplace people congregate. And they've been doing it for as long a recorded time, as best as I can tell. What am I missing?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  7. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I have yet to see musicians do that in the areas in which I have lived/ do live -- however, I have noticed it more in some larger cities. Perhaps I'm missing something in the areas where I live.
    Agreed with the skewed premise, but I am happy with the way in which the thread has progressed, regardless.

I think you make a good point about there needing to be a balance, some restraint to it. But I think some of that comes with good common sense (which may not be as common nowadays)

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Don't want to say ---"cry me a river", but someone has too --- LOOK PEOPLE there is really NO EXCUSES for not having a place to hone your craft.
    for instance --- the following 2 hits on google are just 2 of many. In Texas a group of musicians plays concerts for inmates, and in the latter "FACEBOOK" thingy -- some women decided to form their own orchestra while in prison --- I suppose they could use a TEACHER or a conductor --
    SO - if you want an opportunity to play (and not bother the inmates) -- let's rephrase that to INCLUDE the inmates -- What a thought, maybe they can't all be rehabilitated to fit back into society, but maybe some can ---- and MAYBE MUSIC IS THE TICKET TO THEIR REHAB --
    wow ---not to mention old folks homes, hospitals, historical societies, etc. etc. etc. --- there are endless opportubities to play --- JUST DEPENDS ON WHICH DIRECTION WE ARE LOOKING IN

Texas Public Radio - San Antonio Symphony Musicians Bring Holiday Cheer to Jail

Hiland Mountain Correctional Center Women's String Orchestra | Facebook

(disclaimer -- maybe this doesn't fit the post of OPEN spaces, but it does fit for Playing opportunities)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ed, here's the Australian National Anthem lyrics - have a look at Verse 2, particularly the "boundless plains" bit - mind you, some of those plains are a bit sandy.

Verse 1
    Australians all let us rejoice,
    For we are young and free;
    We've golden soil and wealth for toil;
    Our home is girt by sea;
    Our land abounds in nature's gifts
    Of beauty rich and rare;
    In history's page, let every stage
    Advance Australia Fair.
    In joyful strains then let us sing,
    Advance Australia Fair.

Verse 2
    Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
    We'll toil with hearts and hands;
    To make this Commonwealth of ours
    Renowned of all the lands;
    For those who've come across the seas
    We've boundless plains to share;
    With courage let us all combine
    To Advance Australia Fair.
    In joyful strains then let us sing,
    Advance Australia Fair.

(Sung to the tune - Advance Australia Fair, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk).

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have my own take on this:

tolerance is not a function of advanced civilization. In Germany, we even have retired people suing kindergardens because of the noise!

Nope, the unique part about New Orleans is in the hearts of the people. Music is not a tolerated act, it is PART of the people, like wearing glasses or skin color.

To duplicate that elsewhere, you have to change the people not the laws. For Gainesville to do this, the Mayor would have to be the conductor of the band AND he would have to have at least 75% of the polls to keep the opposition from shutting the action politically down (please note, I use opposition in a general means - I have not researched what party is in power - nor do I care - both sides of the aisle use the same idiotic techniques to slow things down). After a while others would get into the groove and a snowball effect takes place.