New Project

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by stumac, Apr 20, 2017.

1. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Not that I have enough projects, yesterday I received a Holton Super Collegiate, described as having dented bell, as photos showed the bell flair well damaged but otherwise instrument complete.

Found, all slides and valve caps stuck, front brace separated from foot, leadpipe bent , third valve slide miss-aligned, bell to 1st slide and tuning slide lower receiver to 3rd slide brace roughly soldered, valves do move.

Anticipated procedure, free slides and valve caps, thoroughly clean, strip lacquer, remove leadpipe and bell, effect repairs, reassemble and polish.

Nickle silver is a b***** to repair, with careful annealing I am confident of moderate success. Making a Nickle silver Kranz for another project took 27 annealings to get the final shape.

Not looking for an as new restoration, but for $99 it was hard to resist.

Regards, Stuart.

2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    South Korea - short stay
    Yay! Stumac's new project. Keep us updated with photos!

P.S. What happened to that poor heckel lookalike rotary trumpet you had?

3. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Sometimes I get an itch to buy one of those really cheap Chinese or Indian horns just to see if they have improved and if not how can I fix it. Sounds like you've a real project ahead! Good luck and some pics you know

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    BBM, I still have the Heckel look alike and 2 other old rotaries in various stages of repair, I do a bit on them from time to time.

Dennis, I like to start with a reasonable make, I am not sure that much improvement can be made to the Indian Horns.

I have actually completed 2 projects this year.ROFL

Alexander Piston valve trumpet, dent removal, tubing joints re-soldered, fitted new leadpipe and made new rear brace.

B&F TARV trumpet, Dent removal, re-soldered slide tubes, replaced part leadpipe, fitted new spring to clockspring actuator. Will try for photos.

Regards, Stuart.

5. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    South Korea - short stay
    Did Stumac just use an emoji!!!! Kewl!

B&F Tarv Trumpet photos would be definitely cool. You can ask Gerald (I think? his name) at the TARV trumpet page to upload a photo of your TARV trumpet to his directory.

6. taylordiving

taylordiving Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    If anyone is up to the monumental task you've described it's you Stuart.

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Managed an hour on it so far, freed all valve caps and removed valves, good condition with very little wear, got all valve slides out, quite clean inside, tuning slide proving more difficult, will leave until I unsolder the leadpipe then I can work on each leg separately.

Photos to come when I get a new battery for my camera.

Regards, Stuart