New Range Info

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Apr 19, 2010.

1. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    I recently got some more range ideas from another player and was wondering what you guys thought.

He said to do the warmup quietly and do things like Clark studies 1-2 repeatedly quiet in various keys over and over soft/relaxed. I saw someone say to do it untill you cant get a note out and then put the horn down. After waiting a while you should be warmed up for the rest of the day. (I tried this yesterday and REALLY overdid it and am being all crappy today. How do I make sure I don't do this again? It wasn't from too much pressure or playing too loud I think I just went through too many repetitions of the excercises)

Then when moving on to other practice on books, excercises, slurs, ect. to play those normal volume + the dynamics written (such as for Arban's book) He then also said I should do these and good amounts of slurs untill I just cannot play a C in the staff. Then rest the entire next day and do it again the day after. He suggested to do this for rangebuilding over the summer.

He also suggested me practicing my Arbans excercises up an octave.

I hope this is all clear and I'd like to know what you think of this stuff. Sorry I'm really tired.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  2. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    What? Maybe you pros can correct me, but if Arban thought that would've been helpful, he would've written it an octave higher.

Again, pros, feel free to correct me, but wow that is probably the worst idea...

I suggest you check out "Lips of Steel" from Dr. David Baldwin. He will be presenting "Etudes of Theo Charlier" at ITG in Sydney this summer.

http://www.presser.com/marketing/spotlite/44441027/index.html

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Playing things softly and working on Clark studies is not a bad thing, but doing them until you can't play does nothing but damage. The same is true for his advice with the Arban. My guess is someone told you who is also a trumpet player in your school. If so you really do not need their advice. I would suggest you get a good private teacher and do what they tell you.

4. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    Actually, I agree with exactly what you said. The whisper-playing isn't so bad, but you can't keep on burning out your chops like that.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    John,
    just try this stuff for a couple of months and you will know if it works for you.

There are many things that defy common sense, but still are used by some. I would like to know where stuff like this is originally posted. It sure isn't here!

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    1)I don't know about the "you'll be warmed up for the rest of the day" statement.
    I would suggest it just depends on the person. I'll play throughout the day but if I practice 3 times a day, I'll need to prep the lips & brain 3 times before I start.
    2) "Arbans up an octave" That's a tough one. If you are strong arming the trumpet to get the notes then first you should learn to play using a different set of muscles. However, if you don't strong arm the trumpet, taking Arbans up an octave is really a cool idea. Just make sure you sound musical.
    -----------
    Here's what I know about increasing your range. It is God awful easy to reach the upper notes by using arm pressure instead of other muscles. I also know that for me, I learned how to play high notes (increasing my range) by taking things up an octave.

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree. The instructions at the beginning of the first Clarke study warn against overplaying.

I try to approach my practising like someone on a diet, and always leave the table a little hungry. I practice in increments, and I put the horn down before I get too tired or feel that I've lost control of my playing.

8. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    OK. I am going to post not as an expert but as someone who did just the same thing as you. In another thread Keith Fiala warned me to use these soft notes VERY sparingly and not to go over second line G. He was sooooo right. Before I read his advice I was slurring between F# below the stave to E above middle C, just using "soft playing". My jaw actually ached at the joint the next day as if I had temporal mandibular joint syndrome. As soon as I backed off as Keith suggested, it went away. I am also a new comeback player and perhaps not able to handle as much soft player as someone more experienced with better chops.

David

9. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Never, ever play until you can't play anymore--that's a sure way to do damage. I maintain that it is not only unnecessary to practice playing high notes it is may actually be counterproductive. Start your warm up low, slow and soft--then go lower, slower and softer. Seriously start on low "C" then slowly work your way down to the "F#", then do it again gradually adding notes to the BOTTOM working your way to a pedal "C". You may not be able to do it right away, and depending on your horn/mouthpiece combination you may never be able to get there; but you absolutely cannot get there until you lips are fully warmed up. Then, start to work your way up, soft and slow to a second line "G"--shouldn't take long. At this point I start my scales, tongued and slurred, every key, major, minor and chromatic. I don't do the circle of 5ths rather I start on low "G" and work my way up--I usually stop with second space "A". Then it's lip slurs, octave and other interval work then end my warm-up with tonguing exercises. Then I start practicing music, etudes, etc. Unless the music requires it I don't go above the "A" above the staff, and when playing music I knock all the dynamic markings down a notch or two (keeping it "mf" or softer). I stop because I run out of time, not because my lip is tired. And, while I can't "scream" like I could 20 years ago at the end of the night I can nail the "A" above high "C". Been working that way 40+ years now--maybe it will work for you too.

10. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Whisper tones are NOT a bad thing... they help focus your aperture and get the balance needed between the lips and the air speed. But burning your chops out will only keep you burned out!

You could also try lip buzzing as well as doing pedal tone exercises. The idea is to keep your lips as relaxed as you can and set the habit of using your air in the proper way.

Arbans up the octave is exactly what Maynard talked a lot about. I play things 8VA... something to keep in mind is that high C was very high when the Arbans book was written. As long as you are setting good habits when you play in the upper register (no pinching, focussed aperture, etc.) you'll do fine. It helps you to "play" the upper register notes. Big key: don't try to "kill" the upper register notes... just play them normally like you would in any other octave!

Just my thoughts -

Keith