New Range Info

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Apr 19, 2010.

1. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    I wonder where these self-destructive and ultimately self-defeating theories of trumpet playing arise? Don't kill yourself, rest while practising, because you're probaly not going to be that good.

2. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    not cool!

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    mtroster sez:
    I wonder where these self-destructive and ultimately self-defeating theories of trumpet playing arise? Don't kill yourself, rest while practising, because you're probaly not going to be that good.
    ----------------------------
    I'm hoping that you mean:
    The person probably won't sound as good as they wish because they are just starting out and to not be disappointed.

4. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Markie. Sort of, but I still feel that young people starting out get led down the garden path by either themselves or by well meaning screamers that have the potential of doing a lot of harm. we should always et our sights high,but above all realistically. Many a lip has been ruined by over doing it.:-P

5. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    I know the idea of using the lips down to that point sounds insane but when we had those really hard marching band days or pep band performances where I could put in a resting day after it, my lips really felt better the next time I played. I'm still keeping up my quiet practicing and am going to really start in on the lips slurs leading up to and throughout the summer. I hope to get any tension problems and pushing the mouthpiece into my face fixed sometime between the start of summer and the next school year at the latest. That will probably help with range more than anything and since It's something that needs to be fixed it might as well be fixed before the range anyway.

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    It seems that so much of what we do on the trumpet seems to be anectodal. It's hard to know what acutually works or why it works.

I agree that a really hard day should be followed by a day of rest, like The Sunday Routine (http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/clarke/tech/bolvin/). But I don't think it's ideal (IMHO, of course).

7. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    To quote Arnold Jacobs, there is no physical need to warm up. Psychological, maybe, but physically no. The things to remember with playing the trumpet

1) Breath
    2) Relax
    3) Move the air through the horn and through the end of the phrae
    4) Don't use force, use air
    5) Rest frequently
    6) Breath more

It's a good idea to play the Clarke techincal studies at the dynamics indicated, usually quite soft.