New, returning trumpet player here...

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by ButchA, Apr 13, 2009.

1. ButchA

ButchA Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    Greetings... I found this forum the other day and decided to check it out. Great place! :D

I am a returning trumpet player after many years. But I'm also a trombone player and euphonium player (don't hold that against me...).

My prized possessions are:
    1966 Holton Collegiate trumpet
    1965 Conn Director 18H trombone
    ...and now: 2009 Jean Baptiste pocket trumpet (birthday present)

Anyway, I was considered a "utility musician" in school band back in the day. I was never 1st chair, but made it as far as 2nd chair trumpet. I got braces after 8th grade and could no longer play trumpet & french horn. So... that led me to trombone and euphonium. If you look at my musical progression, you'll see where I ventured.

Trumpet: 4th grade --> 7th grade
    French horn: 8th grade
    Trombone: 9th grade & 10th grade
    Euphonium: 11th & 12th grade
    also..
    Trumpet: 11th grade jazz band
    Elec guitar: 12th grade jazz band

This was all back in the late 60's and 70's. I started with trumpet, but then, somehow, someway, realized that I must have been blessed with some sort of gift. I could literally take any instrument and doodle around on it for a while, and then quickly learn to play it. Thus, I was never a dedicated 1st chair, all county, all district, all state, type of musician.

Anyway, I am glad I found this forum because I still play my old Holton Collegiate trumpet. But due to the fact that I don't have the strong embouchure anymore to really make the ol' trumpet sing, I still play it. I can just get up to the high "A", but I just can't hit that high "C" anymore. :-(

With all of this said, I look forward to reading lots and lots of information about trumpets. I have a lot of memories with mine, and it seems that even though an instrument can sit in a closet for months at a time, you never forget how to play. You might be rusty, but you never ever forget how to play.

Anyone remember the old Holton Collegiate trumpet? :D :cool:
    [​IMG]

Also, regarding trumpet mouthpieces, here's my assorted collection:
    [​IMG]

...And the Jean Baptise pocket trumpet? Here it is too:
    [​IMG]

Anyway, I look forward to reading a lot more about trumpets, trumpet playing, and getting my chops back into shape. I just need to work on tone, range, and finally hitting the high "C".

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Welcome to TrumpetMaster Butch.

Glad you found us.

3. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Welcome Butch!