"New" Severinsen Horn!!!???

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Horn of Praise, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Horn of Praise

Horn of Praise Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    Over on the TH, GR Tech (Gary Radtke) rarely posts, but when he does I read it, because he "always" has something good to say.

According to GR, Doc Severinsen is soon coming out with a new horn. According to Gary:

1) Doc likes it better than any of his prized "vintage" horns.

2) We shouldn't be shocked by the price because it's made overseas.

3) The first ten (10) will soon be available.

4) Gary will have the info up on his website very soon.

I was a little surprised by this revelation because, according to recent "talk", Doc had picked up some horns at Kanstul???

Be well.

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Post deleted by poster

3. Jeroen Jongeling

Jeroen Jongeling Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Amsterdam!!!
    Here's some more info,

Doc's new horn is being made in Germany! It's made by a one man trumpet manufacturer. I know the Dutch importer of these horns and heard and saw a few things about the new horn for "Doc". There are a few prototypes that have been going around to be play-tested by a couple of players. I know the importer over here had one going around. I don't know if this will be "The next new horn for Doc", but he's interested enough to come to Germany and develop a personal model.

Doc went to Germany with Byron Autry to develop and test the horn. You can visit the site of the manufacturer at http://www.straub-trumpets.com . For pictures of one of the prototypes look here http://www.brassimport.nl/Images/straub/docproto.jpg . Oh yeah, the name of the horn will be "Destino", at least that's what I read on the site of the importer. He visited Straub at the same time Doc an Mr. Autry were there. Have fun checking it out and talking about it!

I guess there's no problem for me sharing this info, because it's also available in Dutch on the website of the importer of the Straub trumpets. I just thought to share this info with all of you in English. Did I talk to soon? Hope not.. Would hate to go to court for this. Didn't see a copyright on the website.

Jeroen.

4. JACKKANSTUL

JACKKANSTUL Pianissimo User

Doc did go to my father's factory recently and pick up some horns. What he did with them I have no idea.

Jack Kanstul

5. Horn of Praise

Horn of Praise Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    Hi Jack,

Thanks for confirming that. At least my memory isn't failing me...yet. :wink:

Be well.

6. Jeroen Jongeling

Nov 10, 2003
    Amsterdam!!!
    Hey Mikey,

Why did you delete your post?

Jeroen.

7. gus

gus Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    ...If it is made by a normal German co. it will cost no less than
    U$S 2000 (conservative). The only normal factory in Germany is VMI ( B&S and Scherzer ) the others are little ateliers that will kill you with the
    price.

Regards.

Gus

8. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    Doc's Horn

I remember listening to an interview Doc gave on a radio station in San Diego, CA. about 2 or 3 months ago (they had Doc a half hour and Maynard the other half an hour) via the internet and Doc mentioned the horn. He said he will get the horn and play for a while (possible two or three weeks) and have it adjusted to play perfect and then they will sell it. Based on this and the normal German cost it is going to be much more then $2,000. My guess is $3,500 to $4,000. Too rich for my blood. :eek:

Mike

9. Jeroen Jongeling

Nov 10, 2003
    Amsterdam!!!
    Straub trumpets will probably sell for over $2000 easy (more like 3k to 4k I think). Now, with the low Dollar (in comparison with our Euro) that trumpet will be even more expensive for you guys overseas. I haven't heared any feedback on the horn. One thing I can tell you: The valves are great, because my horn has the same valveblock as Straub uses. If I'm not mistaking they are also the same as used by Eclipse (right Leigh?).

Jeroen.

10. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    How would a small (one person?) operation make enough horns to meet any demand? They cannot. So they would have to sell a few at a large markup. It sounds like another "Monette" type operation. You had better like it!

If Doc worked with Kanstul, that would make sense! They make a great horn and have the capability to produce them at a reasonable cost and with a reasonable output.

If what we know so far is true, it will not impact the market much at all. Fun to talk about though!