new teaching methods

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Oct 4, 2010.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Because of all the great trumpet players today, in all facets of playing, whether it be range, improvising,endurance,etc., I was wondering what new teaching methods are being taught today that were'nt available years ago. Also, what were some of the teaching practices then that are frowned upon today.

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Songbook asks:
    I was wondering what new teaching methods are being taught today that were'nt available years ago. Also, what were some of the teaching practices then that are frowned upon today.
    --------------------------
    It appears that a lot of the advances in methods (not instrument technology) are not so much what is taught but how it is taught. For this we can thank/curse the computer and the internet.
    A single example of a difference between how it was and how it is would be the downloading of a software package (that anyone can download off the internet for free) and begin to write music which can be played back, edited, stored, sent to another person, all from the comfort of home.
    Some examples of "new" (which is relative) methods of learning music can be found in the genre of jazz. Learning free jazz would be an example. Aebersold now has a play along for free jazz. It's the first I've seen where this type of jazz has been brought into the classroom.
    Another example would be a text called the spit book. Spit stands for scale, pattern, inversion, triad. The text is based on the concept of "improvisational reading" which allows the improvisor to pick any notes from any four lines on a single page, give the notes whatever value they wish and basically do with the notes whatever they wish and still sound good harmonically. The spit book is often used in conjunction with play alongs.
    ---------
    Methods frowned upon?
    The salvation army method of reading trumpet music.

3. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello Songbook. There is so much better prepared Music Books, for the begginner to what ever, it is unreal.

You have very good basic Band Books1/2/3 levels with DVD/CD's/Metronome set ups etc. Nothing like that back in the early Sixty's. Was hand you the horn and what help you got from the local band leader, who may have not been a horn player, was it.

The mind set back then, seemed to be when I was playing,was those with the natural talent would suceed and the wanna be's would quit or fade away.

Right now a come back player,can buy the Carl Fisher- Arban1/Arban2/First Clarke/ and all three levels of Rubanks. And a lot more, at very cheap prices off the MusicSheetPlus internet site.

Eric Bolvin even has a slower exercise method, of working through the Arban and maybe some of the Baptist Jacome ,Trumpet/Cornet manuals.

Better Horns are available today,even at the begginner level. More horn choices and mouthpiece set ups. The 21 Century Era is a great Era for a Trumpet/Cornet /Etc. player, at all stage levels of playing. All due to acess of the amazing Internet.

We have all the Claude Gordan method books and much more. The only thing lacking today is practicing enough, and using a Pro-Trumpet teacher as needed. Take care

4. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Thanks for getting back to me. I guess the computer and internet has advanced trumpet playing in many ways that I would not have thought of. In my day (mid 50's) I was told to buy an Arban book and play scale after scale. Needless to say, it became quite boring.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    You'll be amazed at the technology. Wanna have some fun? Sure you do!
    Purchase Hal Leonard's classical play along for trumpet(its the play along that has the song Queen of the Night by Mozart). You will be amazed at how quickly you will advance with this play along. Play alongs are another example of new methodology.

6. Hags888

Hags888 Pianissimo User

Aug 31, 2006
    Corpus Christi, TX
    If you think the Arbans is boring...then you're doing it wrong! :-) Sure, there are lots of exercises in the Arbans that can be tedious (all of them are still worth wood shedding), but check out the Art of Phrasing melodies, duets, Characteristic Studies and even the theme/variation solos in the back! Those are some of the most fun things to play. And if your skill level isn't high enough to be able to play that stuff yet, then work on the exercises in the front half until they are! Fun is what you make of it. If you're playing the trumpet in a boring way, then of course the experience will be boring. It's up to you to make it interesting.

Arbans/Clarke are still the standard for me and my students. That said, I really like Plog's multi-volume set as an extension of what Arbans/Clarke accomplish.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  7. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    I guess the reason i found the arban so boring, was because my enjoyment comes from playing dixieland. There's really nothing in the arban for learning improvisation. I know you should know all the scales in different keys and inversions, but I found the book too technical for me.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would suggest that while there may be more players and methods today, there is no great increase in MUSICIANS. This is because no amount of training develops SOUL. What helps more than any book, is the amount of recordings available to everybody. Motivation is normally found by discovering a role model or hero not page 27 in some method book.

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    If you learned some of the scales you would be a better dixie player.
    The chord studies would also help.
    You know what, the songs and phrasing would help shape your improv lines.

The book teaches the language of music, whether classical or jazz.

10. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello Songbook. Check out Eric Bolvin's method books. He has a new one and some others on Jazz Chords etc.

The Band in a Garage recording/play along program is really neat. It might only work with MAC computer system though. Newer versions may be out by now.

I send new pieces of my Essembly parts, to a lead retired Trumpet player in Texas. He takes this Mac, B.I. A. G. program system,records all parts, and adds in the metronome clicks.

E-mails it back to me. I download to my music files. Now I have someone to practice with on my parts, often as I wish. When rehersal time arrives,I am good to go. Lot's of great stuff out there. And it shows out today on High School/College bands.

We had a parade last month. The local high school band was right in front of the Marine band warming up. They played the Marine Hymn. I was inside the store and went out to see the Marine Band play.

Got outside and realized it was the High School Band playing. After Marine Hymn was finished,Marines came out of their Attention stance. Gave the High School Band a standing applause. Good luck