New technology is worse than old tech

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex_C, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    So I'm working through Pearson's Standard Of Excellence series, and my book has CD's. So, I decided to try playing one to hear the exercises played by a good player, well, of course they can't be played on a computer, I need a stand alone CD player I guess. Frankly it'd be easiest on the old reliable record player.

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    So what are you asking?

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Such are the pains in a society very used to just copying (stealing) everything from sheet music to MP3. The innocent are extremely inconvenienced.

I have a standard CD player attached to my computer for things like this. The analog outputs of the CD player are attached to the input of the computer and I make a legitimate backup for my own use.

Part of excellence is keeping the honest honest.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    My computer plays audio CDs just fine. In fact all 5 of mine do.

5. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I paid for the CDs, they are part of the trumpet book I bought from the book store.

If my computer had a stand-alone CD player program, which I may be able to find as freeware online, it'd play them no problem. I guess I should check tucows for something like that.

iTunes is too big and complex. I had to eject the CD by using the firmware while restarting the computer.

6. Odoaker

Odoaker New Friend

Jun 25, 2010
    Use a synthesizer program for a PC. You can easily change tempa and pitch. You can easily program this synthesizer programs with the notes of the trumpet tune.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Alex, I once had a computer that wouldn't play CDs - it was really hit or miss and simply wouldn't recognize certain ones. I bought a new CD drive and installed it, and that fixed the problem. If you have a notebook computer that might be an issue - mine was a standard tower so it was a really basic fix that didn't cost a ton. Notebook hardware fixes tend to be a bit more detailed and costly. (I once replaced a DC Power jack in a notebook computer. NOT a task for the faint of heart because the whole thing had to come apart - the screen had to come off, the keyboard had to come out and I had to virtually detach and lift out the motherboard just to get to where the part was in the case.)

On the subject of piracy, copyright infringement and that sort of thing, when the Napster/WinAmp craze initially took off, I downloaded a ton of stuff initially, but these days I purchase everything as a CD and rip it, or I buy it directly through iTunes.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I have only non-Apple computers and they all play standard audio CDS. I have had some in my organization where I am the GEEK, once again all non-Apple, that have had issues playing CDs, but only pre-XP machines and I believe hardware issues. Of course, if my users cannot play CDs on their workstations, I suggest they buy boom boxes or radios, as listening to music at work is not something I must support, although I will do something for them if not too labor-intensive.

If you have a non-ejecting CD, there is a small hole on drives into which you may insert a straightened paper clip to open the drawer.

9. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Just the opposite - as long as it's my money, it'll never be anything but Apple. But even on the lame stuff, as long as you have a drive capable of reading audio CD's, it's worth trying a couple of things. First, be sure you've got the latest version of the device driver for your version of the operating system. Then go download a copy of iTunes - it handles playing audio CD's nicely, even on computers infected with Windows.

10. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    It's iTunes that won't play it, and "hides" the CD from the desktop so I have to restart the compujter and use propeller-E to eject it.

I'll just look for a "desktop" type CD player at a thrift store, then that can stack on tope of my awesome harman/kardon 330c, and play my CDs with good old pushbutton controls. I'm serious about getting a decent turntable too.