New technology is worse than old tech

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex_C, Jun 25, 2010.

1. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    There are a lot of trouble-shooting tips at Apple - Support which deal with symptoms similar to yours. It might take a while, but if you work your way through the ones which seem to best fit your situation, you can probably resolve the problem without buying new hardware. You can also Google such things as "itunes won't play audio cd" if the search capabilities at apple.com aren't as user-friendly.

2. Kayin

Kayin Pianissimo User

May 30, 2010
    Disability has forced me to stop being out in the field, but from a fix-it standpoint, being both Apple certified and A+/MCSE/Cisco cert, I'll never let any Apple hardware into my home. Even when I got a G4 case to put a PC in, I took the Apple hardware out on the porch, sold off what was good and set fire to the rest. If you do music, get a GOOD PC and keep it current. Apple's install base is too small and its programs not up to par to keep it either current or worth working with. And as a repairman, you'd be shocked and amazed at how many repairs I had to do, and how severe they were.

Oh, and if you own an Apple, go out and get a good antivirus software now. Whatever Jobs tells you, I can personally attest there are viruses and worms for apple, and they are more than annoying, they're destructive. I did this for a living and fed my family for 12 years doing this, I'd not pull the wool over your eyes.

All right, rant over. Sounds like an optical drive is going out.

3. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Well, as long as we're getting each other's shoes wet, I made my living in the computer racket for almost 47 years before retiring - application designer, developer, tech support manager, programming manager, you name it. That included mainframes, mini- and micro-computers, a dozen assembly languages, and more operating systems than I care to remember. Yes, Windows, UNIX, Linux, old Mac OS, and more. But I wouldn't have a computer in my home until I got my first Macintosh well over 20 years ago. I do keep the anti-virus up-to-date, although the viruses targeting Macs are vastly outnumbered by those exploiting the legion of vulnerabilities in Windows.
    So what does any of that biased horse**** do to help the poor OP? Why don't we return to the topic?

4. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Screw that I'll get something that works.

Are there still people out there who think computers were introduced to REDUCE work? ROFL

5. Kayin

Kayin Pianissimo User

May 30, 2010
    No problems with returning it to the OP here.

Not the average Apple user, I see. I was just worried about the safety of your data.

I would replace the optical drive if possible, it sounds like a laser failure. New DVDRW's are 19 or so on newegg.com. Might be worth a look, considering the issue.

6. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston

Just to offer an alternate perspective...

I've used Macs for 25 years, for basic tasks (web, Office etc), programming in several APIs, complex data analyses with very large datasets, pro-level digital photography applications, and many music applications (recording, editing, etc). I have never, once, ever had any problems importing a CD to iTunes, and have never had any disasters due to viruses and worms (without antivirus software). Furthermore, all of my musician friends (including some professional recording artists) use Macs, and have also never had any problems.

To the OP: I don't know why you can't import the book's CD into iTunes. Are you able to import any other CDs? If so, then clearly the problem is with the specific CD. If not, try updating/re-installing iTunes.

7. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I have not idea how to import a CD into iTunes and am sure it will take hours and hours with maybe a 50% chance of some kind of success.

I am not going to mess around with any of this stuff. If I want to listen to the radio, I listen to the radio. If I want to play a CD I'll get a CD player.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2010
  8. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Alex,
    I have to admit that I have very little patience for those too lazy to read the instructions. It doesn't matter if it is Windows, Linux or Mac, only a bit of time to become acquainted with the platform and off you go. If you are challenged and need basic help, then ask for it instead of getting vulgar. No one really minds if you buy a CD player for your hi fi, many of us are using computers for this function.

iTunes is a very easy to use program, regardless if it is on a Mac or PC, WinAmp is also very good. Amarok is my choice for Linux.

10. MarkMin

MarkMin New Friend

Jul 15, 2008
    Without wanting to invite a fight, I have to concur with Rowuk: I have had no problems using CD software on platforms of any sort (Windows or Mac), and think that computers offer much to playing music, including the capacity to slow playback down which can be useful for transcription.

On the Mac / Windows question: I've worked with computers for around 30 years. For twenty five of them I struggled to get Windows to reliably do what it was supposed to. Finally I bought Macs and have had no problems since. Some people have probably had the reverse experience. Let's get back to playing the trumpet.