new to group

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alan bain, Jan 4, 2014.

1. alan bain

alan bain New Friend

Jan 1, 2014
    Buffalo, NY
    Hi everyone; my name is al, i m a retired senior living in the buffalo ny area. i started playing trumpet in the 6th grade and played thru high school. my fondest memories of high school was in band. i played in concert, marching, pep and stage band. i reached 1st chair at different times. i sold my trumpet when i was abt 20 and really miss it. my daughter picked up a used trumpet a couple of yrs ago at a garage sale and gave it to me. i have been fooling with it lately and cant believe how bad i am. i dont know if it is me for not playing in 50 yrs or the trumpet is bad. i will keep playing, if u can call it that and see if i can regain my lip.
    thank you; AcB

2. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Alan,

I started back four years ago at 59yrs, after about forty years off. It takes time, and I have found that it keeps your mind active. I have learned so much in the past four years. My advice is to find a local trumpet teacher. They really help.

Good luck,

Gary

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Welcome, Alan! You'll soon find that there are many "comeback" players here on TM, myself included.

I'm a music school drop-out, who switched majors halfway through college. I kept playing into my 30s, and eventually stopped. I picked up the trumpet again about 5 years ago after a 15-20 year layoff.

Just like leftover pizza, somethings are better the second time around. :-)

Mike

4. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    Hi Al,

Welcome to the nuthouse,where the inmates/comebackers run the institution.ROFL You're going to see a lot of posts like TrumpetMD's. There are a bunch of us comebackers here.

Welcome,
    Rick

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Welcome! I started my comeback in '10 after about 30+ years. Keep working, it'll come:oops:

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Hi Alan, good to have you aboard. Have fun on the comeback.

7. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Yes, welcome. I started my comeback in 2008 came back after 25 yrs off. Try, try, try to be patient. You will enjoy it so much more if you appreciate the small improvements you'll begin to experience. Try to play every day.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Alan!

You can't believe everything the comebackers tell you. Sometimes they're just guys going through their mid-life crisis and their wives won't let them buy a sports car.

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Ah, Vulgano knows us all too well.

Mike

10. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Mine did.