new to group

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alan bain, Jan 4, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    But Mike's got his pizza cooking hot... that man can play. Welcome to TM alan. I am not a comebacker, as I have played steadily for 50 years. That would make me heavily addicted to the trumpet.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Some women make such sacrifices to keep their husbands out of the house.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Whereas us steady player just muscle our way though their mid-life crisis:

[​IMG]

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Al,
    Welcome to TM, and welcome back to playing.
    Try to get a teacher for a term and it will save you a lot of time. Get a daily routine and build your stamina slowly.

My advice is to get into a local community band as soon as you get your range to and solid E, or occasional G above the staff. 3rd and 4th chair community band parts are great, and will give you motivation on a weekly basis to keep you moving.

Good luck, and keep us posted of your progress.

5. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Welcome, I too am a returning trumpet player. I didn't completely quit, but only played on occasion for many years. I've discovered that you lose many things when you lay off for long periods. It'll come back but it takes time and effort. I've also discovered that like lots of other things our age takes it toll on us and we don't recover as quickly as we used to. So take your time, play every day, but most of all have fun and enjoy it. At our age we don't have to please anybody but ourselves......:-P Well that and maybe our wives........:roll:

6. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Welcomes echoed! I laid off seven years after playing with all my bad habits for forty years. I took it as a time to begin again from scratch and beginning again the 'right way'. Like others I began playing again in an effort to keep my mind from turning completely to mush. Not entirely successful on that one.

Your sound: I did a lot of research and made a list of my bad habits due to incorrect instruction as a youth. Then I watched Charlie Porter's free videos on YouTube especially the embouchure. That was the origin of most of my problems. It took me about a year of study and diligent, focused practice, with a correct embouchure and I'm now playing better and much easier than ever. Good luck and have fun.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Alan, welcome to TM ------------------------- of course, mainly I'm a trumpet player --- but I double in a community band on the trombone ---------- yes!! -- sat in the trombone section for the Christmas concert season ------ even at an outdoor concert in 15 degree weather, "John" another trombonist was there --- he is pretty dedicated and is a comebacker on the trombone for 30 years now, and he didn't pick it back up until he was 58 ------------------ YES, I did the math, and have confirmation from John, he is a spry 88 years old, going on 89 ---- he plays well, and he never misses any concerts!!!!!

8. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    Al... I second all the "welcomes".... and for Kingtrumpet, please get "John" to join TM. I don't like being one of the oldest (?) with the longest (51+ years) comeback. JA

9. ButchA

ButchA Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    Good afternoon, Al! Welcome aboard! This is a great forum with so many knowledgeable people!

Buffalo, NY huh? Small world... My wife is from West Seneca and I used to be stationed in Buffalo back in the 80's when I was in the US Coast Guard!

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I'm from near Watkins Glen at the south end of Seneca Lake!!!! -- you can keep your stupid snow, but yeah you Buffaloans send us a few inches every now and then -- even way over here!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL