new to group

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alan bain, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    That's not a sports car. It's a man cave on wheels. Be careful who you trust here.

2. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    My father-in-law lives in that area. Used to live near Dundee, then moved just across the border to Lawrenceville PA

3. aardvark

aardvark New Friend

Dec 24, 2013
    Hi everyone...My name is Jim and I live in the western N.Y. area and am a new member here.I have decided to give it another try after a 50 year lay off..I was an average player in high school and am amazed at the info available today at learning the trumpet.I need some help locating parts for my 1942 (I believe) Olds Super that I'm trying to put back into playing condition.Serial # 13658......This horn was brought home over 50 years ago by my Dad.He rescued it from a lady's junk pile but we could never get it to play.I never heard of an Olds Super and was going to put it on E-Bay for parts and started looking at them and decided to keep it.After removing the valves, I found #2 and #3 valves were switched in the wrong cylinders.....and the guide bar that aligns the#1 valve in the cylinder was missing.I got evrything straightened out and the horn played with a beautiful tone, very free blowing and could play the higher registers so much better than my 1963 Conn Director ......but I need valve parts....does anyone know where some of these parts might be available. Mainly I need the valve guide bars and the spring retainers that align the spring onto the valve.I could use 2 bottom cylinder caps also....thanks for any help.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    May I suggest you discuss such with Ivan Hunter (Trumpetsplus here on TM). Better yet, send your Olds Super to him and let him set it up right. You'll not be sorry.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Welcome to TM!

Great advice by Ed. Also, I'm glad you opted to keep your Olds Super.

Mike

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome to TM, aardvark. Best wishes as you get your Super back in shape!
    Jim