New to me Horn maker and repair shop

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MFfan, Aug 11, 2008.

1. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    During the course of corresponding with an Ill. lady whose son dropped a piston belonging to his Barrington trumpet, which she bought somewhat on the strength of my reviews on WWBW there were a couple on interesting
    factors. I think the problem was a slightly whacked lower rim of the piston.

1. Conventional music store Pooh-poohed the quaility of the instrument
    and said they couldn't fix it. (expected result)

2. She found a instrument repair shop in Urbana, took the horn there.
    They fixed the problem and said there was nothing wrong with the horn's quality. Her son is now playing again and she is inspired to maybe getting a horn to play with him, after trying the temporary loaner they got.

3. The name is deharo horns and de Haro Horns - Custom Horns, Leadpipes, and Brass Repair - Modification, Custom Mouthpipes (Leadpipes), Screwbell Conversions, and Valve Rebuilds (Plating) Brass Instrument Repair Brass Instrument Repair Brass Instrument Repair Brass Instrument Repa He evidently concentrates on making custom French horns, but does repairs on other brass instruments, as you can see by perusing his site. Maybe some of you have heard of him. Possible another midwest name to keep in mind as a repair option for some things.

2. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks Dave! I'm still playing on the Barrington as well. I'm pretty happy with it although the valves seem to be a little sloppy on mine and I have to be very careful to push down vertically only. Also I have a hard time screwing the bottom caps on, I don't think the threading is as it should be. But for a $200 horn those are not big problems. I'm glad they were able to have the horn fixed.

3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    No problem, glad you are still playing yours. At least this place is fairly close to us, as repair shops go, and is willing to work on the horns. I don't have trouble with the valves on mine much. I have been using heavier weight oil on the 2nd valve to keep it lubricated better. I had noticed the fit of the bottom caps, also, but now use heavy Bach caps, which fit, but don't screw in all the way. The shop owner wrote me back that it was a burr on the piston from dropping it, as I expected and he does repairs on those maybe 15-20 times a year. As you have seen Bernie (NewGuy) has a Barrington also, largely based on my reports. I am feeling the weight of responsibility.:D

4. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    I mite have to check this guy out sounds like he does a good job

5. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well you weren't responsible for mine so don't feel bad. :) I think you talked me out of some buyer's remorse though.

I'm finally at the point where I'm looking to upgrade, but I'm waiting for a violin to sell on consignment to finance it. The violin is expected to go for at least $3000 after commission, which will buy me more than enough horn for my needs. I need to get up to WWBW sometime to play around with some nicer trumpets, because I never have. All the northern Hoosiers and southern Michiganders should take a field trip and meet up at WWBW, it would be fun!

6. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Thanks, that would be fun. No buyer remorse necessary I am firmly convinced. As you have a good chance of funds for a new horn in the future of better quality, try as many as you can and there are many good choices for every need that will be in your comfort level. I don't have one, so have to scrounge around the vintage level, which has been mostly positive so far.:-) Violins are worth something after all!:lol: