New to playing the trumpet!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by phan-tom, Jan 26, 2012.

1. phan-tom

phan-tom New Friend

Jan 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    Hey there,

I just bought my first trumpet this week and wondered if anyone had any tips for learning? Thanks!

Martin

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Congrats on the new horn Martin! What kind?

This is a hard thing to do, I would say find a teacher at the local community band or even the High school. Just work on what you can. Can you play any notes?

Welcome to TM too!
    :welcome:

3. phan-tom

phan-tom New Friend

Jan 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    Hey there,

I'm an adult learner so I'm a little late for high school hehe! It is only a beginners trumpet, J Michael (Japanese)! I'm aware that they're not the greatest, but I am hoping to upgrade to a better one after a year or so!

I can play a few notes yes (C, D, E and F) but it is hard work! I'm finding making smooth notes difficult at the moment and sometimes it sounds really horrid haha! I'm finding that my lips are very sensitive after I finish practice and become a little red (is this something that is common and will it continue forever?)

Thanks...this seems like an excellent site to get tips and speak to other people who are "in the know how"!

Martin

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I thought that. But how about a community band? Even the Highschool, ask the teacher or the 1st chair player. I think that they would help you.

Trumpet is hard at first. Dont let anyone tell you different. It will come with practice, find a beginner trumpet book and work out of that. I can think of Essential Elements 2000 book 1 for trumpet would be good. Then you can go to book 2 and 3. Your lips will get red and hurt, but it goes away as you build more endurance and power.

This is a great site!

5. phan-tom

phan-tom New Friend

Jan 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    Thanks! I know that there is a Brass band in my local town (they travel all over the world though and are very advanced) but I will call them and see if they do anything for beginners or are willing to offer any advice for further bands to visit or call!

I have a couple of books and am waiting for a few more from Amazon, but yeh I am going through the books and using the DVDs and CDs with them...they are good!

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Sounds good. They would know just what to do.

That works too. I wish you the best of luck! Im pretty sure that someone else will have their 2 cents to add to this. Welcome to TM again and we hope you stay!

coolerdave likes this.
  7. phan-tom

phan-tom New Friend

Jan 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    Cheers, Cody!

8. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Learn to listen to your sound, and try to figure out what you want to sound like. This is a good foundation, IMO. All above, I also agree with. Best of luck

9. phan-tom

phan-tom New Friend

Jan 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    Thank you, Mark! I like your quotes...very wise ;-)

10. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I suggest you get a trumpet teacher. Learning how to play the trumpet on your own can be a very hard task. Also, learn how to buzz well with just the mouthpiece before you start playing other things. Building a strong base is very essential to trumpet playing. Don't jump ahead and try to play high notes or something. Be patient. Learning how to breathe properly will help a lot, too.
    Here are some video's that might help you.
    Trumpet Lesson #3 - Starting a Beginner Student - YouTube
    The Breathing Gym - Sam Pilafian Patrick Sheridan MUST SEE FOR BAND MEMBERS - YouTube
    I'll post more if I find more videos.
    Good luck! :-)