New To The Forum / Info Needed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by yakbass, Oct 5, 2015.

1. yakbass

yakbass New Friend

Oct 2, 2015
    Hello all. I am new to this forum, but not new to the horn (started playing in 1965, with a 43 year break). I have picked it up again to be the accompaniment to my 10yo granddaughter as she starts to learn the flute.
    I am having a ball and am doing much better than I expected, so am looking for sheet music to play. To put a point on it, I am looking for music that Herb Alpert played. Whipped Cream songs, most I haven't been able to locate are some of the stuff I want. Green Peppers in particular.
    Can anyone help me?
    Mike

2. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Welcome to TM!

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Have you checked Amazon.com for used music in the titles you want? Those songs don't have the demand they did when they were current.

... and welcome!

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
  5. Kolupski

Kolupski New Friend

Oct 4, 2015
    ALSO NEED INFO AS AN AMATEUR TRUMPETER!!!:

I've been playing guitar for about 10+ years now and I really, really enjoy. Im currently at school for Music and have been expanding my interests in different musics as well as instruments. I can dabble on the bass and can work my way around piano and on a drum set. Recently, I've gotten the urge to buy a trumpet and learn from square one. Couple of questions for you trumpeters:

Me being a guitar player and playing all the notes with my left hand, do you think it would be worth it looking for a left-handed trumpet or would I be okay conditioning my right hand and playing on an original right-handed trumpet?

Also, I know you can't play every single note on the trumpet using the valves, but on the other side, can you ONLY change pitches using your lips? or are there some notes where you can JUST push down certain valves to change the pitch?

Basically just want the breakdown for that!

6. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    First, welcome to the forum.
    Second, a trumpet is not really an instrument to dabble around with: it's quite difficult and takes a lot of time and routine (and discipline).
    Third, you think that you play guitar with your left hand but that's not true. You can go for a left-handed trumpet if you can play yhe guitar reverse: you play the attacks with your left hand and form the chords and scales with your right hand.
    Fourth, every tube you blow on give a certain progression of tones, formed by the lips only. For a trumpet that is globally (in concert pitch): BES, F, bes, d, f, as, bes, c, d and so on, The space between these notes is filled up with the pistons.
    So you change pitch with both methods you mentioned.
    Good luck!

7. Kolupski

Kolupski New Friend

Oct 4, 2015
    Thank you for your input Franklin, but I LOVE music, and I am determined to learn the horn! I don't need to be the next Miles Davis, I'd just like to be able to get around on it and be able to play all the notes and maybe be able to play some heads to some jazz tunes or just some cool horn sections. I don't want it to become my main instrument because that is the guitar! I'd just like to add it to my repertoire of musical instruments I can play. I think I'm up for the challenge!

Is there any other advice/words of wisdom you could give me going into the world of the horns?

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    kolupski, you should start a fresh thread under Introductions and Greetings so as not to take away from yakbass' questions/answers. Do that and ask your question there and you will get plenty of input.

9. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Get a good horn and a few lessons! It's real easy to pickup bad habits that can severely hinder progress!

10. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Community bands have tons of sheet music, and the opportunity to network with other trumpeters