New To Trumpet - Got this.. Any good?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MikeTheGoalie, Nov 23, 2008.

1. MikeTheGoalie

MikeTheGoalie New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    Hello everyone. I was bored one day and went to Ebay and saw a trumpet for sale. It was pretty cheap. $30 shipped. It has some dings and looks like it has been sitting. The person selling it didn't have any info on it.

I tried to search google.. but nothing. So I will try you guys/gals.

This is what I have.

It is a Olympian "Stands all tests". Well, that is what is on the bell.

I played trumpet back in the 5th, 6th and 7th grade. I am 34 years old now. I don't really remember anything :(

But I was able to play a few of smaller stuff like "Go Fight Win" in matter of mins..

But the trumpet isn't sounding well. The third valve doesn't do much when pressing it down.

I took it apart and oiled everything after cleaning it.

I am wondering if anyone can give me some info on this trumpet.

I might just use it as a decor in the room.

But playing the trumpet again makes me wanna play and mess around some more..:thumbsup:

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Take it to a repair shop and see how much it will take to make the instrument playable. I don't know anything about the brand, but you don't have much in it and if it doesn't take a whole lot to make it playable, why not?

3. MikeTheGoalie

MikeTheGoalie New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    Yeah, good idea. I just don't know if it is junk and it would be better off maybe spending $100 at Wal-mart (HAHAHAHA) then spending $100 on this one... You know what I mean?

4. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Probably a stencil of some sort made for sale by a particular retailer that used that name.We could tell better wtih some pics.

5. MikeTheGoalie

MikeTheGoalie New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    OK! Here are some pictures.

I have also uploaded a video. I find the trumpet VERY hard to play. When I go to "buzz" to play - it's like I have to blow really hard into it. And it's not very loud - seeing how hard I am pushing to get a sound.

The sound is also NOT in tune. And it sounds like it dying.
    Here I pressed the valves down and it goes from a sound to a hiss..

This thing is junk huh?
    Don't laugh at me playing. I can play better on a good trumpet... I think.. It HAS to be the trumpet! ROFL

YouTube - sadtrumpet.wmv

Attached Files:

6. MikeTheGoalie

MikeTheGoalie New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    Did I scare you guys away with the crappy sound and video? :)

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    From the slide bracing I'd say it's over 50 years old. Nice engraving! The tape on the third valve slide is probably an attempt to plug a leak, and may be why it went hiss. Don't assume you aren't part of the cause, since you only "think" you can do better on a good one.
    Go consult a technician and see what he says.
    veery

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    From my observasion of the enclosed pictures, the third valve slide is broken and misaligned, caused by a hamfisted attempt to free that slide. The slide crook is no longer soldered to the inner leg of the slide. This should not cause any problems, except when that valve is depressed. The stuffy and 'HORRIBLE' sound is probably caused by the valves having been installed into the wrong casings. A trip to a competant technician will readily resolve thse problems, and, at low cost.

OLDLOU>>

9. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Lou know his stuff! You can get those thinks fixed. Looks like a 20's horn or earlier, with bottom spunk valves. Probably would look pretty good stripped and the raw brass polished, after the mechancial and structural things are corrected , or as much as you want to put in it.:dontknow:

10. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    By the pictures it looks like the one I started playing (loaned by my band).
    It was a no-brand trumpet, but it was made by Montserrat, in Barcelona (Spain). They made pretty nice and good instruments (specially baritones, which today would sell around 10.000$). They were very respectfully with their employees, so when they decided to go out of business, they allowed the last worker to work until he retired at 65.
    After then, Vicente Honorato and his brother (who was an accomplished trumpet player, who died long ago) bought the tools and mandrels and Stomvi was born.
    I wonder if that trumpet could be one of those. Apparently is the same, with the nice engraving on the bell.
    Hope you're lucky enough to have one of that lovely horns and enjoy.
    BEST WISHES !!!