New to trumpet, HELP?!?!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cantplaytrumpet, Apr 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Hey everybody!
    I've got a couple questions I would like to ask. :-)
    I'm 16 and new to trumpet and I've heard that there are many bad habits that can arise if you aren't taught properly straight off, so I was thinking, what are some of the common pitfalls that I must be aware of in order to advance? I don't want to get any bad habits.
    I am really interested to learn this instrument and join in with many bands, and have dreams of one day joining an orchestra, but what is the reality of that happening because I have only just started? Have I started too late? And would a new trumpet allow me to advance faster?

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I'm 16 and new to trumpet and I've heard that there are many bad habits that can arise if you aren't taught properly straight off,so I was thinking, what are some of the common pitfalls that I must be aware of in order to advance? I don't want to get any bad habits - solution Get a tutor as soon as you can. I am really interested to learn this instrument and join in with many bands, and have dreams of one day joining an orchestra, but what is the reality of that happening because I have only just started? Many of us started much later (or are comebackers) your success is entirely in your own hands. Have I started too late? Please read my previous comment. And would a new trumpet allow me to advance faster? Equipment is rarely the issue - it's lack of direction, (hence the tutor) or a lack of application on the player's part - NO ONE else can do it for you.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
    codyb226 likes this.
  3. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Some general thoughts:
    - Find a teacher who will really push you at your max pace (ask around about teachers, talk to other players)
    - New equipment doesn't equal improved skills. It may facilitate some skills being more consistent to execute, but it alone won't make you better. There is, however, a point where an instrument can be of such poor quality or in such a state of disrepair that it inhibits proper technique.
    - Grab any and every chance you can find to play (solo, small ensemble, band, orchestra, etc.).

4. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Pray……………………a lot………………….to the trumpet god………….( that means practice) and get a teacher.

5. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Not having a teacher.

No.

No.

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Yes, to the comments about getting a teacher.
    No, it isn't too late to start out. You know what you want now, whereas a young child may THINK what they want, and don't have the vision to see what it takes.
    Ivest the time, the effort, the study, and you will reap the benefits. Any lack of those will show up. Love it, don't dread it. Have fun at some time- every time you play.

7. mattonstad

mattonstad New Friend

Mar 6, 2012
    Oshkosh, WI
    It's always great to have a teacher, but if you're looking for a good trumpet to have, I am selling my used Bach Stradivarius Model 37 that would be great for you to start out on. It's been in good hands since it was bought. You can find the post under the classifieds: Bb trumpet section!

8. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    In case you don't have or want to spend alot of money upfront on trumpets/teachers, try this student model Etude ETR-100 Series Student Bb Trumpet | WWBW ($134) and try to find youtube videos from reputable players, maybe even some from vet players here on TM. I found some trumpet "tutorial" type videos from members of the various military bands that were really helpful when I was first starting out. Short of that maybe try to get a freebie lesson if you do happen to have teachers available.

9. LiquidSean

LiquidSean Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2010
    Virginia
    Take the money you were going to spend on a new trumpet, and spend that money on a good private teacher. Assuming you already have a trumpet, of course.

Richard Oliver likes this.
  10. Flugellover

Flugellover New Friend

Dec 20, 2011
    Some of the habits I had (and still have) trouble with are
    -Learning to use the third valve slide, I wasn't told to do this until 8th grade (I started in the summer between fourth and fifth grade), but only use it on 1-3 and 1-2-3 notes (i.e. low d and c#)
    -Don't "Football" notes, meaning dong start a note quiet, play it loud in the middle and end soft (this usually happens when people start playing more lyrical stuff and adding more emotion into their playing)
    -Focus on tone starting now
    -Use a warm down exercise, especially when you finish playing loud or high stuff
    As to trying to make it into an orchestra, it depends on the orchestra you want to make. Not to discourage you, but I think that making it into say the Chicago Symphony Orchestra would be quite near impossible, but there are orchestras that you could make it into, just keep practicing really hard.