new to trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by realfotography, Jan 11, 2009.

1. realfotography

realfotography New Friend

Jan 11, 2009
    i was recently given a trumpet by a friend and am dying to know how to make music with it... i have watched videos and read articles and practiced, but stil i am unable to comprehend most of the technique that is being talked about. so i was wondering if any body has any tips for a newbie to the instrument. pointers that could help me get stated or just any advice at all would be greatly appriciated! thank you so much

2. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    I would start by looking and listening to as many youtube trumpet videos as you can. Try to find the musical direction you want to pursue. Once you know that then you have a direction to work on.
    Welcome to Wayne Naus' World

3. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Where did your friend get the trumpet from? If your answer is a music store then that store SHOULD be able to point you in the direction of a private teacher. That's where I'd start if I were you.

4. sleepingdancer

sleepingdancer New Friend

Jan 11, 2009
    Budapest, Hungary
    hi, i think it is impossible to learn to play the trumpet without a teacher. You may even destroy your lip muscles if you try it the wrong way too hard. I suggest that you should find a good teacher.

5. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    I've started four years ago all by myself. My school didn't even have a band then, but this year I'm in high school and I took the auditions and I'm first chair. :-P

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Find a competent private teacher and you can move forward much faster than trying to do things on your own. Doing things on your own can lead to some very bad habits which will hold you back from making progress.

7. johnMak

johnMak Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2008
    Ridgecrest CA
    I played in high school many years ago.

I went to a thrift store and there was a trumpet, and I picked it up and was still able to make an audiable sound.

I began to think about trying to play it again and yes I am. I took 8 months or so of lessons from the local music store teacher and it helped, but wish there was more in town here.

Older people to play with and of the sort. New Horizons band Association or something like that.

I got a cornet recently and that is making progress.

Enjoy that horn your friend got cha, and see what you can do, Yes, you can play with it a bit. Try to make the sounds, but do take lessons. Youtube DOES have good video...there are some good lesson books with CD's to play along with...but have a teacher some day soon to get cha on the right track.

I've made the decision to play cornet cause I searched the music and the like and found the SOUND that was totally what I want to sound like...I then looked around at the equipment they were playing with and well, I'm still fine tuning my Cornet and MP and how I play...

It's fun to learn and to try new things. I'm waiting on some Kelly MP's just to try them out and see.

thanks for listening to my babble...

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    If you really want to learn to play, the best advice is to get a GOOD private teacher. The trumpet is not a DIY endevor. It is also not a casual instrument in that it does require some commitment. That said, anybody can learn to play. It's a skill, a craft. have fun.

9. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    I second to Bob.
    Get a teacher, then it's much easier than learning by oneself.
    BEST WISHES !!!

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    My Goodness, asking that question on a site like this is like throwing a cheerleader into a room full of drunken sailors. Your question requires stuff that no site can give you. With that said, A site should augment what your instructor tells you. Find a high school band director to get you started.