new to trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by realfotography, Jan 11, 2009.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Congratulations on your accomplishments thus far, but I would urge you to find a good trumpet teacher to work with. I've never heard you play, but being first trumpet in a band that didn't exist a few years ago could make it easy for you to lose sight of what it takes to really master the instrument.

In high school (many years ago) I was first chair in all of the school bands and played in bands on the side for fun, but when i got to college and heard what some of the other players were capable of, I was suprised at how inadequate my own skills were.

Big fish in a small pond vs. small fish in a big pond...

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I always have to wonder why there is no natural urge to do something in a structured way with some sort of realistic chance for success. We are talking about one of the most beautiful things on earth - trumpet MUSIC!

I think that this is a real sign of the miserable upbringing that does not place VALUE on a job well done.

Realfotography, I am not getting on your personal case, I am just tired of this general lack of respect for the arts and ones own personal development. I have 3 girls 9-10 years old that play WONDERFULLY because they care. They have been getting lessons for slightly more than a year and a half and can most likely play rings around pubescent high school kids that TALK about pure nonsense instead of practicing sensibly.

If you care, get serious. If not, good luck. There are a lot of handicapped players on the net willing to spread as much BS as you are willing to listen to.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi realfoto,
    Markie here, after reading some of the comments, I think you've become an emotional tampon for some of the people that listed responses. While I still stick by my advice, "take a few lessons from a college trumpet teacher" there's nothing to say you can't wing it on your own. Here's a VHS that maybe you'll find handy. How to Play The Trumpet by Clark Terry. It's got some really good advice to get you started and you can get it pretty cheap. With that said, don't let some of the comments upset you. Kick back, grab your favorite beverage, and have fun playing that trumpet however you want. Don't let the girlyboys bring you down.

4. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    I'm afraid you've fallen into the scrum that developers when someone shows up here with an interest in learning by themselves. Mutterings about values, cheerleaders and drunken sailors, and general fearfulness unless you get a whole lot more serious.

I'd suggest looking around some more before deciding how seriously to take these comments. If you're willing to explore books, Jonathan Harnum's Sound the Trumpet explains a lot of the technique and definitely the vocabulary - and is pretty entertaining as well.

That might get you going enough to be able to follow the conversation and make pleasant sounds with your horn. Then you can build on it, along whatever path you choose.

5. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    You can point to great jazz artists who were completely self taught and jazz artists that had great teachers. Clark Terry, who I don't think anyone would call a slouch, learned everything on his own.

6. johnMak

johnMak Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2008
    Ridgecrest CA
    I find it difficult to find a private teacher or PROFESSIONAL teacher as the forum suggests.

We take for granted that all that post here are school or college age...I'm 51 and would love to learn more...

I use the CD's that come with the lesson books and that seems to be OK for now. I'll play an album and try to play along. church music and playing a song at the senior living facility etc...

I have had lessons from the local music store owner. And I could use another round of lessons. But is the only answer GET a TEACHER? the only answer that's gonna be given around here in this forum?

Can the CD set that comes with the books OK till that Private Teacher comes around?

will jamming with friends do for now till I join the community Band?

7. johnMak

johnMak Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2008
    Ridgecrest CA
    Oh yea...

I also have the ARBAN mp3 files, so I can even play along with ARBAN and follow in the book. This is not wrong to count on the CD's or MP3 files...till the elite teacher is found.

Another ad in the paper for an instructor for older comeback cornetist.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Now Johnmac,
    While you're not totally wrong, you're not totally right.
    Here's some self help DVD' & CD's for trumpet: (I might be a little off on the titles but they can be googled)
    The Secrets of the Trumpet Playing-John Thomas DVD
    How to Play the Trumpet-Clark Terry VHS
    The Art of Jazz Trumpet-John Lynch CD
    Along with that, some DVD's to see what it looks like to play trumpet at it's highest level.
    The World of Maynard Ferguson
    Chase live
    Rafeal Mendez Collection
    Also Youtube can not be forgotten: check out
    Miles
    Dizzy
    Sandoval
    Mendez
    Clark
    Doc
    Louis
    Wynton
    Also websites such as Pops Clinton's site on how to play high and gives a diagram of the interior of the mouth and tongue positions at different ranges.(very handy!!!)
    etc.etc.etc.
    I still contend that doing a little research and taking a few lessons from a good teacher to establish a good foundation will be the most efficient use of resources. Everything listed (for most) is a suppliment or reinforcer to what my teachers have taught me(mechanics, such as proper embrochure, use of air, sound, proper finger placement, proper fingering, alternative fingering ect,.).
    Of course all teachers are not created equally. Sometimes a DVD can show a student where the teacher was teaching it wrong.

Well, I'm done now. It's time to gather my horn, dress up like a cheerleader and find a bar full of drunken sailors to play for.
    If I make it out alive, drinks for everybody!!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The teacher does not need to be elite. In the beginning, simply a good player from the local wind band can offer a live role model and that is a BIG help.

It may be interesting for a beginner to consider a Chet Baker, Wynton Marsalis or Maurice André as a player worth emulating but That isn't of much use when you have just figured out what end of the horn to blow into. Small steps make the most sense and that means local help, then regional, then national then international.

10. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    First off I want to say that I agree with the "general consensus" that a teacher, but they "good" or "bad", WILL point you in the correct direction. For someone who just decided yesterday to "pick up" the trumpet because "it looks fun" trying to "go it on your own" will most likely end in some sort of failure. If you have no idea how to read music then ANY MUSICIAN "should" be able to teach you how. I was fortunate enough to grow up in a musical home. My mother was a piano teacher so that's where I started in the 2nd grade. About a year of that & I decided that I wanted to play trumpet. I already knew how to read music, but I had no idea what notes went with which "button". (honest...that's what I called them at first ;-)) Then it was a couple years before I was able to play in band in school. Because of that "head start" I was able to skip the entire year of "which end do I blow in?!".

I think that's what everyone is trying to say. Not that "if you don't find a teacher then the 'trumpet reaper' will hunt you down & steal your soul". Taking even a few lessons from someone who knows what they're talking about will start you out in the right direction. Hell....some people might even consider RENTING a trumpet to see IF they even want to play it before you put what some folks would call a sizable chunk of change on something that could very well end up collecting dust in a closet until it's sold on eBay!!

That's my 2 cents.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009