New to trumpet!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tfray94, Jun 2, 2010.

1. tfray94

tfray94 New Friend

Jun 1, 2010
    I got a trumpet this past weekend and want to spend a lot of time practicing so I can get good over the summer. I have been playing piano for 10 years and sax for 6 so I don't really need help with music theory and I am pretty smart so I don't really need help with fingerings. I have a 3c and 7c mouthpiece and a yamaha trumpet. I have the second essential elements book as well as the arbans book for trumpet. I need help mostly with range, endurance, tone, and other trumpet specific techniques. Any advice on how and what to practice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Back at it

Back at it Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2010
    Western, NY
    Welcome to the Trumpet world. Your in for a wild ride! Development takes time and a lot of it! Practice smart!! meaning do not over play to fatigue. Stop befor your chops are tired. focus on tonality first, Clark technical studies are great if you are ready for them, 1st time through k tongue modified, second time k toungue third time slurred.

3. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Regardless of your background, you should seek a trumpet teacher.

4. Back at it

Back at it Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2010
    Western, NY
    Yes, a TEACHER!!

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I agree with the previous posters if you want to be good then find a good private teacher. Trumpet is not a DIY project if you want to get there with the least problems.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    got a trumpet this past weekend and want to spend a lot of time practicing so I can get good over the summer.
    ---------------
    Good luck, I've been at it for decades and still trying to get good.

7. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805

Are you Jack Sheldon in disguise ???? :dontknow:

Trying To Get Good - the Jazz Odyssey of Jack Sheldon

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Unlike the piano or sax, the lips/you make the sound. Not a hammered string or a vibrating reed. this means the lips need very specific training and lots ot time in the beginning stages. the good news is you only have 3 valves to work. A teacher is the best idea.

9. aucklander

aucklander New Friend

Apr 15, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    If you really want some 'suggestion' not 'prescription'.. here it goes:

1. Since you got a book, might as well start two practice a day (1 in the morning 1 in the afternoon)...

2. Try play long notes (pp, p, mp, mf, f and pp < F, F > pp etc.), follow by scale, slur, and then do the exercises in the Arban book..

Your lips strength require regular training and exercising to get 'fit' for higher notes, range, endurance etc. so doing it regularly will benefit you the most.. try to seek a teacher's help in the beginning is the best possible ideas friends here can give you.. Good luck!

10. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    You sound enthusiastic, good for you. If you do get good over the summer let me know how you did it, I want to be good too. Best wishes.