New toys for Christmas

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cpt.Funk, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Cpt.Funk

Cpt.Funk New Friend

Jul 15, 2012
    Hey TM,
    I just got an iPad for Christmas, and I was using it to record my practice sessions; does anyone know how accurate the mic is?
    Thanks and happy holidays, cpt.funk

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I don't have an iPad, but I've used both my Android phone and table to record my practice sessions.

In those devices, I find it easy to overpower the mic. For me, it works best to point my trumpet away from the device. When doing this, it works pretty well.

Mike

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What's an iPad? What's an Android?

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    It's what too many kids spend their time on instead of learning how to play a real instrument ........ IMHO

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    iPad: when two or more contractors are sitting having coffee together and discussing the tricks of their trade, you may hear the phrase: "iPad the bill sometimes to make up for lost time".
    Android: that is a non human being, machine created to perform the functions of humans, like C3PO, or R2D2, in Star wars.

6. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    Luddite in our midst.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That would explain why people like you and me excel at playing our horns. No wonder the younger generation doesn't put out jazz from the 50s and 60s... they time priorities are in a different direction such that they just can't cut it.

8. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    We're on a forum celebrating an instrument which has existed in its modern form for nearly 200 years, and has its roots in horns from 1500 BC. Somehow "Luddite" doesn't quite encompass it.

9. Cpt.Funk

Cpt.Funk New Friend

Jul 15, 2012
    Wait, people of my generation use these things more than instruments? I need to get out of the practice room more...

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'm not opposed to it, don't want to overthrough the technology. I just am ignorant of this technology, and trying to understand it just frustrates me. I would rather spend my time playing my trumpet. Now that, I understand.