New Trumpet Instructor

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Heavens2kadonka, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Patrick Kunkee, co-principal of the NSO. I finally begin lessons with him today at 6pm. Very excited.

Just felt like sharing with youse guys. :D

Van

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Have fun!

ML

3. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Thanks, Manny!

The lesson went extremely well. Went over Psalm of the Turrin piece I plan on doing for Fall recital (BTW, thanks JACKD for showing me this piece!!!).

Mr. Kunkee is an astonding transpositioner. Amazing. Never met anyone who could just name a key, and sight read whatever's on the page LIKE THAT.

I left today finding a whole lot of stuff I've over-looked. Namely transposition. I've focused so much on playing and sound that I've neglected the music, the stuff behind it. I'm very pissed about that, haha.

I am going to be taking with him every other week. I'm trying to find a second teacher, one more geared towards jazz. I'm calling Keith Ellis tomorrow, I think.

Great day!

Van

4. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Awesome Van! Hope you learn something you cna pass on to me next year in lessons!! :D

Don't use the cane next year... :evil:

5. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Patrick and Keith are both great players and teachers. If you want to take jazz improv lessons in Nashville, you might want to call Jim Williamson. I'm not sure if he teaches, but he is one [email protected]@ of a jazz player.

6. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Mr. Ansberry,

This is awesome that you are from the area I am starting to take lessons!! :D

Dr. Ellis recently accepted the position of jazz instructor at CU, where I attend. His name was the first one I thought of.

I've heard Mr. Williamson play, I actually have a recording. Rock Williams dropped by our school during our annual jazz fest. Mr. Williamson was one of the judges, and Rock asked him if he would like to play a piece with the group. Mr. Williamson got out his horn (A gold-plated beauty), went in a back room with a practice mute, warmed up, looked over the piece (A completely improv piece), and played it WONDERFULLY 30 minutes later!

Thanks again for reminding me of him! There are a LOT of great players and teachers lurking around the Middle Tennessee area just waiting to have their brains picked. This summer has turned out wonderfully.

BTW, Andrew. I only use the cane when it is needed. :evil:

Van

7. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    What happened to maybe getting me some lessons with Mr. Suska? Huh? Yeah, forgot about that didn't yeah. Lol jk. So, Patrick Kunkee is co-principal with Mr. Bailey...I didn't know that.

8. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Andrew,

You have about as much of a chance of getting in touch with Mr. Suska now as I do! He's always so very, very busy.

Andrew, have you made Mr. Bailey's acquaintance? :?:

Van

9. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Yeah, I have, I just figured it wasn't important. Last year, at that Singing/Music camp I went to. The one at Cumberland. We were there the week that the Nashville Symphony play on the patio of the cafeteria. Before the concert the orchestra members were eating in the back room and when Mr. Bailey came out I introduced myself and told him I was a trumpet player to, I thought he was an awesome trumpet player, etc. You know, the normal butt kissing. So, we talked for may be 5 minutes till he had to go on and till I had to go to class. I seriously doubt it if he remembered even talking to me, the conversation was that brief. But, yes I do "know" him. He was a pretty cool, I determined from about a 5 minute conversation. Though I didn't get any tips, I literally didn't have time to ask, they put on an excellent concert, though I didn't get to hear, but about 3 seconds of it. I was in class. :-( It was the worst torture ever being in class and knowing that some of the greatest musician in the United States were merely a few hundred feet away playing their hearts out and I couldn't go see them (Or even hear them for that matter. Cumberland's walls must be extremely thick.). :shock:

Ain't that cool.

10. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Andrew,

If you would like, I can PM or email Mr. Kunkee's email. I also have Dr. Armstrong, Associate of the NSO.

I may also be getting Dr. Ellis and POSSIBLY Mr. Stallings or Mr. Williams....

Dangit, I need a C trumpet... :lol:

Van