New Trumpet Issue

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mattvj5, Nov 17, 2011.

1. mattvj5

mattvj5 New Friend

Mar 14, 2009
    I got a used Scodwell and I love it. One small issue though, it seems I can't get my spit out of it, or it's stuck in it?!? I use the valves to get the water out, but it seems there may be water stuck somewhere else because sometimes when I play you can hear kinda a popping sound from something in the horn.

Any ideas?

2. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    take out your slides and valves and flip your horn around, kinda like French Horn players do. You could always run a swab through it as well, if you have one.

3. mattvj5

mattvj5 New Friend

Mar 14, 2009
    Holy cow alot of water came out and it plays fine. I really hope I don't have to do that all the time. I'm not sure why it's holding so much water.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Get a jar of spit balls to run through the horn after you empty it french horn style. Just put it in the leadpipe and push deeper with a pencil, push all the valves down, blow super hard. That will clean out all of the junk from the horn.

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Yes, you have to do it every time, maybe even more than once every time you practice.

6. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    You may not have to dump it out like that every time. Where did the water/spit/liquid come out? If it was from the tuning slide or thrid valve, you may want to check and make sure your spit valves arent blocked with build up. if it was from somewhere else then you should probably empty it when you are done practicing to see if there is continually liquid going to that spot and try to figure out why.

7. mattvj5

mattvj5 New Friend

Mar 14, 2009
    It was from the main tuning slide...a good amount of water came out. It probably needs a cleaning, but until then I will take the slide out and let the water out. Thanks!

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    If your trumpet does have spit valves, I hope it does, I use a little braces pick from the dentist. I have a few left from when I had braces and it curves and fits in there good. All that it is just a little pipe cleaner on a bendable top.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Depending on the style of water key on the tuning slide, there may be a burr on the interior which is blocking the opening. A tech can check for this and remove it.

Most of the Scodwell trumpets I have seen have Amado water keys. They work best when you puff gently while holding the valves halfway down. The half valving increases the pressure of your blown air in the slide.

10. mattvj5

mattvj5 New Friend

Mar 14, 2009
    Yep, they are the Amodo keys on there, and the first experience I had with them, going from regular spit keys. I will try pushing them half way down instead when I let the water out.
    You all rock! Thanks again!