New Trumpet Mic!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ALLCHOPS, Jul 2, 2005.

1. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Tom thank you for the great answer. It confirmed my thoughts about the SM57. It really isn't a good trumpet mic.

The specs on it have the frequency response peaking at 16,000. My cheap pc headset peaks at 20,000. Along with what you said explains to me why it sounds like it doesn't have a good high sound even though it doesn't have enough bass either.

20 years of mystery solved at 3:45 AM. Beauty!

2. timcates

timcates Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2004
    Texas - USA
    try an AKG C-414 through an Avalon tube preamp (leave the EQ flat - do rolloff the bass on the mic)- no muss/no fuss to get a great sound (just not cheap!)

3. fatpauly

fatpauly Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    1. What preamp are you using?

2. Can I have your Sennheisers?

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland

4. EastBayTrumpet

EastBayTrumpet New Friend

Nov 23, 2009
    One of the key questions in this discussion would be what kind of live situation are you dealing with?

Obviously there is going to be a give and take with any mic you choose. The ideal would be either a nice ribbon or large cap condenser to pick up the true beauty of a horn's sound. However neither one of this is ideal for a live situation, unless its a nice sounding stage and something like a combo playing.

Most of the time we as trumpet players are being mic'd is when we are playing with other way louder instruments, or over a big band. This is why we bring in a dynamic, such as the sm57. They are not nearly as sensitive as a condenser and can generally operate at much higher SPL. If you want to get closer to keeping the over all quality of your sound with a dynamic you are going to want to look at something like an Electro Voice RE-20, or something by Heil. The RE-20 is popular for being used in broadcasting situations but are all around amazing mics.

The 57 is on the cheap end of the dynamic range, but it is an amazing mic that has truly been tested by time. It is very affordable, which musicians love, and you'll have a hard time trying to hurt this mic. I agree 100% it is not the best sounding mic for trumpet, but it is a good mic to use for a sound guy. It lets things work on in a live mix amazingly well. That is a huge factor in this, some guy who doesn't really know what a trumpet should sound like is mixing your sound. I am a live sound engineer along with a trumpet player, and have worked with people who think a trumpet should be all high mid range-y, and make them sound like shit. So keep that in mind, there is someone elses ears controlling your sound no matter what mic you use.