New trumpet, old Arban!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aussie Matt, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    Going through a cupboard at my mum's place on Christmas day, I found a very old copy of J. B. Arban's Cornet Method. It belonged to my dad who would have used it in the 60s. This edition pre-dates the 60s I'm sure (thick brown paper cover, black cloth binding) so I reckon the old man bought it second hand. It's in good condition too :-).

Well, tonight I started. The first page of exercises (page 11) is done, a couple of hundred left to go!:play:

I must say, I really liked it. It felt like I was really working and stretching. I'll keep at it and might even get the Arban Manual to offer some guidance.

I posted the other day about getting a new trumpet (New Horn Day) so it really felt like a mix of the old and new. When things are done right, there's no reason to change, I guess.

Sorry, no question here. I just thought I'd share about the latest addition of my trumpet journey.:grouphug:

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Very nice Matt! Really. I like hearing stories like the one you told.

3. mtbevins

mtbevins Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Thanks for posting Matt. You should see my Arban's book....beat up, but well used. :)

4. Aussie Matt

Oct 12, 2010
    Thanks guys. Funny, my wife is worried about me using the copy of Arban's I have. It's such a beautiful old book and she is worried that it will end up looking like yours MT. Well, I don't think Arban meant for it to be kept behind glass. I will cherish it, and use it but if it's getting too much use, well maybe a new copy isn't such a bad idea.

5. laurie

laurie Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    Australia
    I have the same issue Arbans at home,with the brown covers and black binding. It was given to me by the Brass band I played with as a young bloke in the late 60's early 70's.
    Written on the inside cover is the inscription "Most improved player 1972"
    Its a treasured possesion.
    Laurie

6. Aussie Matt

Oct 12, 2010
    Awesome Laurie. I'd treasure that.
    My copy has some of my Dad's handwriting on the back cover – talk about penmanship! That man wrote beautifully. He has writen the name of his teacher, his teacher's number and his own phone number. Interestingly, the numbers begin with two letters which my mum informed me was how phone numbers were way back then. A nice little historical document that one and nice to have something that belonged to the old man. Unfortunately I never heard him play; I did use to sneak a look and a blow of his trumpet and cornet occasionally as a kid. Never once even saw him with it though.

7. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I had one of those and am now on my third copy of Arban. Also have a copy of one from the mid to late 20's.

8. Aussie Matt

Oct 12, 2010
    And I just got back from my lesson and my teacher tells me he wants me to practice the first few exercises from Arban's. The day after I start working with it, my teacher gives me the same exercises for homework. A nice coincidence.

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    ;-)Maybe he's reading your mail?:shhh:

No, keep letting us know how you go; my old phone number was 48-6572.
    Those were the days....and use the book, your Dad had foresight!

10. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    Sounds good, I love the first section, simple things produce big effects, have a look through and single out the different sections rather than working front to back :)