New Trumpet - Stuck Tuning Slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by sscar19, Oct 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. sscar19

sscar19 New Friend

Aug 12, 2011
    So I posted a thread a long time ago, asking opinions of whether i should get a new trumpet or not. Well my band director told me about a friend who was selling his Bach Stradivarius Model 43 for $1000...so i kinda had to get it. I played it before i bought it and absolutely loved the sound, but the tuning slide is really stuck and i'm kind of worried. I know i should have been more skeptical about it before i bought it but i liked the sound too much to pass it up.

I just want to know if there are situations where a slide can be permanently stuck?

I'm kind of freaking out

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I have never heard of a slide being stuck irretrievably. Relax, take a deep breath, and stroll to the nearest good horn tech. If necessary they can unsolder and then re-solder the slide. This is NOT a deal breaker. The whole procedure should be fairly inexpensive.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Probably $50 max

4. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Over and over we hear from repair techs; the big problem is not stuck slides, it's people who try to force stuck slides and end up damaging the instrument in a much more serious way. Let a tech deal with it.

5. sscar19

sscar19 New Friend

Aug 12, 2011
    okay thank god haha. and yeah i have not messed with it because i dont want to bend the slide. i plan on taking it to a tech this week.

thanks guys

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I have used the old towel pull, penetrating oil,and hair dryer heating to remove them in the past. The last horn I bought had all 3 slides stuck. When my methods didn't work, I took it to a tech. He ended up having to heat the joint, apply penetrating oil (plus applying oil to the inside and leaving overnight) and let it cool for several hours, then tap genly, repeat process about 10 times a day for 3 days. All of the sudden, it just dropped out. If there was ever a slide I thought wouldn't come out, this was it. The point, don't worry. The tech will be able to get it out. Just be careful if you are trying to move it -Bachs are notorius for soft metal. Bends and dents easily.

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Recently in attempting to free the third valve slide of an Olds Ambassador with a cord through the loop and held in the vyce after soaking in penetrating oil for a week, a good heave pulled both legs and the lower tuning slide outer from the valve block, the tuning slide was not in at the time.

This was of little concern as the horn was being dismantled for a frankenhorn, it was surprising though how little solder was in the joints only a little ring at the ends of the tubes.

Regards, Stuart.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    with a Bach I would see a tech
    First you have to inspect and make sure that something isn't bent or dented causing the slide not to move
    did I mention a tech is the way to go?
    you can use penetrating oil .. Fluidfilm, WD-40, and PB Blaster ( VERY strong fumes on the last one there) .. light taps with a leather mallet ( if you try anything but a leather mallet you will probably dent your pipes) .. the tapping is on the area where the slide is stuck not trying to knock it out by the way.
    did I mention see a tech?
    Use a heat gun .. warning they can get hot enought to burn the lacquer and melt the solder joints
    so a tech is my recommendation
    I have had Yamahas where every slide was stuck and the last one loosened up after 10 days of repeating the process everyday .. oil, heat tap oil heat tap.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If it were me, I'd take it Bach!

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Good plan.

Getting your slide un-stuck will probably be the easiest thing the horn shop does this week.

Cheap and easy repair for the tech.