New Trumpet - Stuck Tuning Slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by sscar19, Oct 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I will 2nd,3rd,4th, etc.. for taking it to a tech. I "worked" on a horn for a long time with all the above mentioned techniques to no avail. Took it to my tech and had it back the next day all in one piece w/o any damage. Cost $30 and well worth it!!

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I have just removed a main slide from a 100 year old cornet which had probably been stuck more than half its life. It took 7 days of attention: penetrant - heat - penetrant - heat- etc, every day. then some force.

Take it to a tech. AND be patient!

coolerdave likes this.
  3. Ness

Ness New Friend

Nov 3, 2011
    Yeah I have a friend who had a similar problem, it's a simple fix- just take it into the repair shop. I don't remember how much it was to fix but I'm pretty sure it was under $100. Don't try and fix it yourself by forcing it- as this can cause more harm than help.

4. sscar19

sscar19 New Friend

Aug 12, 2011
    Hey everyone,

I took my Bach to the repair shop and they got the slide out just fine, cleaned it, and took the 2 dents out. It looks and plays great!! I'm so happy :)

Thanks for your reassurance, i was really worried. But all is well :)

5. joe1joey

joe1joey Piano User

Jul 3, 2010
    E.Panhandle WV
    If you need a tech and do not know of one, give the area that you are in and you will get help from this forum. BTW many local shops are interested in getting long term business and are worth supporting. Many times services like removing mouthpieces and freeing slides are done at a nominal cost. I've never paid more than $20 for loosening a slide, and that was one of those "OMG I know this isn't going to be able to be done" kind.

6. joe1joey

joe1joey Piano User

Jul 3, 2010
    E.Panhandle WV
    OOPS! too late, but glad to hear!