New Trumpeter Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BigBandBandy, Mar 26, 2009.

1. trumpetwebsite

trumpetwebsite New Friend

Jan 28, 2009
    Florida
    When I started it was just the matter of keeping my chops active for about a year and a half until reaching the average range of a trumpet player.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    8 months.

HOWEVER, if you send me a check for $99.99 I'll e-mail you the "secret" plan for hitting high notes in 10 weeks...

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    as a comment on this, my band director actually solved my problem. with the braces i couldnt use my old method of playing up high, which was the curling of the lips. he then used the old air trick. he told me to hit up high aim the air straight down the pipe. i held out a high C no problem within the ten seconds it took my brain to process what he is playing. my embouchere is very well developed but it worked fairly well and its as if my braces arent even there. no pain at all or pressure

4. BigBandBandy

BigBandBandy New Friend

Mar 26, 2009
    Illinois
    I guess maybe I phrased my questions differently. I don't care about playing high C's (or higher) ABOVE the staff. I know it's different for everyone too. I just want to be able to play the C above MIDDLE C and the D,E, and F above that, (WITHIN THE STAFF). I know it takes time and practice. Maybe I should ask how long it took other people to be able to reach that level just so you can play a few more tunes. Also, someone mentioned The Clarke Studies book, is that as good as Arbans? Thanks everyone for your help!!!

5. BigBandBandy

BigBandBandy New Friend

Mar 26, 2009
    Illinois
    I just finished re-reading everyones advise for me and I really appreciate the time you guys are all willing to take to help out fellow players along the path. This is a great site and I just want to thank all of you. I hope I didn't come across as impatient. Thanks again.

6. thebugleboy

thebugleboy Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2008
    Deep South
    How long does it take a new runner (who has never run before) to be able to win the Boston Marathon? The answer to this, if you can find one, will answer your question about high notes. There is more to quality performing than JUST high notes. A runner who pushes too hard too fast may injure himself and never run again. A good practice and workout regime will give the runner good form (which aids his endurance), great strength, and great wind...to mention just a few necessary things to be built. But don't expect to run even a mile effectively at first. It takes everyone different lengths of time to become great. If it were an easy and quick process, we would never be impressed by greatness...everyone would be accomplishing the same goals at the same time. Noone would stand out. Greatness comes with hard work, dedication, and experience (not to mention discipling yourself to a fine teacher or coach). Enjoy the trip. The destination is nice, but without the trip to get there, you will never really appreciate it. Don't rush it. You will NEVER be as good as you can be.

7. xelaris

xelaris New Friend

Jan 19, 2009
    Maybe I'm a gifted one, but I've managed to get a convincing top C in about 2 weeks (btw: I play the Alto Sax and that would help a lot at least in terms of stamina and mouth, breath and diaphram control).
    Then I joined this forum and everyone told me I was doing something "wrong" (on what basis?), and to get a tutor because it would take about a year to "master" the whole range?!:shock: .
    Needless to say, I've safely ignore those comments and kept going my way.

As it stands, it remains to define what it means Mastering the whole range...one can hit the top C and beyond that but that doesn't mean one is entirely in control....
    Still now, after a few months while I can hit and staying in the top range with more confidence I'm not satisfied and I predict another couple of months to master the whole range the way I want (I have very high standards).

I don't agree with all these "get a good tutor" comments....they sounds more like certain "a priory" beliefs more akin to religious people or those who don't really trust themselves that much...

8. Trumpet-Golfer

Trumpet-Golfer Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2008
    Liverpool, England
    'How long's a piece of string'

In my case 6 months to play the C scale from C below the staff to 3rd space C fairly consistantly. About a year to play melodies up to 3rd space C. 1 year to 18 months to play scales up to top space E, two to two and a half years to play melodies up to E.
    I;ve been playing just over 3 years I can play scales up to G above the staff consistantly and squeak Ab and A. I still can't play some melodies with long tone G's cosistantly. Obviously my progress has been more fluid than this stepped description. with the usual up's and downs.

9. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I think it's already been stated in here, but this is my reply. There is no set time for range improvement. It depends on your method of playing, your practice time put in, your teachers, and your experience.
    All of these factors vary greatly from player to player. However, if you do practice regularly(and I don't even mean a 3-5 hour routine), and are focused and have good guidance, you should get the results you are looking for.

Good Luck!:-)

10. BigBandBandy

BigBandBandy New Friend

Mar 26, 2009
    Illinois
    Thanks Trumpet-Golfer, this is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. I also play clarinet and I can play really high notes on it so I understand the fact that playing high isn't everything. I just was curious as to how long it took other people so I can have something to shoot for and keep me motivated. Thanks again.