New/used '75 Olds Ambassador arrived (eBay special)

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by ButchA, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Strobe

Strobe Pianissimo User

Jul 5, 2016
    Solon, Ohio
    I have an old Mendez 1 that I use with my 50's Olds Super Cornet. Also have a Purviance 5*K4 that is similar - bit more stable with a wider rim but like the Mendez better for range. Do not like the original Olds 3 Cornet mouthpiece.

ButchA likes this.
  2. sj3209

sj3209 Pianissimo User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    It might be too small but you could try an Olds 3 cornet mouthpiece. Supposedly they are about the size of a Bach 7. So maybe too small for you, but I've found old horns like old mouthpieces. They are available for cheap on Ebay.

Acludwig1 and ButchA like this.
  3. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Not necessary on a long cornet like the Ambassador, my experience with that horn is that it plays slightly better and easier with a long shank cornet mouthpiece.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Dennis78 likes this.
  4. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Did you find a finger ring?

ButchA likes this.
  5. ButchA

ButchA Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    No... All that's in the case is the Lyre for marching band music. I can snatch up a finger ring easily though. It's not a big deal.

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    My 1957 Olds Ambassador trumpet didn't have a third valve ring, either.

I looked around for a genuine replacement ring, with some people trying to charge me more money that what I paid for the trumpet. The strangest offer I received was for an ambassador third valve ring that was found in a trumpet case, which was reportedly owned by Clark Terry. Because of this, the seller wanted to sell it for a premium price. I passed.

I purchased a Bach Stradivarius replacement ring and screw. It fit, and it cost about $7.

Mike

ButchA and Dennis78 like this.