New valves / valve-block for Monette horns?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Robert Rowe, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    ML --

(This may be more appropriate for the "Horns" Forum-topic; but, I figured you would be the "go-to guy" for "things Monette").

What's with the new Monette proprietary valves / valve-block?

Have you tried, yet? Were there problems with the Getzen-sourced units ... (can't imagine that)?

Robt Rowe

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I wouldn't venture to speculate as to what Dave's dealings with Getzen were. I just know he has always had a nice relationship with the folks over there.

The new valve block is the single biggest change since the whole Prana thing. The feel and play of the horn is beyond fabulous. I don't know how you take a product like his and coninually improve it in such significant ways. It's like we who play them say "This is amazing, it can't get any better" and he continually says "Thanks but yes, it can". It's even freer than before which is pretty bloody free.

ML

3. matthoffner

matthoffner Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    minneapolis, mn
    Manny,

Do you know if the new valve block is an option for someone who has an older Monette - or is this a feature that only comes on new horns?

-Matt

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Matt,

I asked him that very question and, sadly, no, it's not a retro-fit process. It's an organic one that goes with the newer horns.

ML

5. ebtromba

ebtromba Pianissimo User

I can already hear legions of dentists, doctors, and lawyers writing checks...

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I had a salesman tell me "It's the enthusiastic amateur with the means who makes the best instruments affordable for the professionals"

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    You know, Toots... there's a lot of truth to that. In knowing Dave's history (I keep referring to that because he's the only trumpet maker I've seen grow from the start) Many people that were very supportive of his work were amateurs and collectors. What is interesting is these folks, because they were not pros but music lovers, had no axes to grind about making trumpets. They just knew that they couldn't make certain horns work and were receptive to ideas that working trumpeters with different responsibilities weren't receptive to. "You want me to what? Change the way I sit stand/stand/breathe and start thinking about yoga? Man, I got a gig to play and the way I've been doing it seems to be just fine so forget it."

The amateurs and collectors didn't have that attitude and Dave was able to discover how far he could take certain sound/body use issues.

Obviously, hearing and watching pros play was a huge part of the development of his horns but, Toots, I think that was a very astute thing you said. We never hear about what Vincent Bach or Ren Schilke regarding the people that supported their ideas early on. It would be fascinating.

Doctoral thesis, anyone?

ML

8. ebtromba

ebtromba Pianissimo User

ah yes, because when I think 'monette', I think 'affordable'.

(please don't take any this seriously, I just gotta keep you monetters on your toes somehow... :evil: :-) )

...this is the only way to get to the forte club, right??

9. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    My eyes!
    Wilmer

10. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    So what is the new valve block? Made in house or...?